How do give a pill to a duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by azhenhouse, Jan 11, 2012.

1. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    I know how to give pills to dogs, but how do you give them to ducks? The same way? Shove it down their throat?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  3. Sean S.

Sean S. Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    Sidney, NY
    Someone is going to have to invent pea pockets! :D

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I once had a young drake on antibiotics for 5 months- and let me tell you- there are many ...many ways to give a duck a pill.

Poking it straight down the throat with your finger- after a few days it becomes a two person job to help hold the duck.
    Wrapping it in Bread
    Wrapping it in lettuce... poking it in a piece of apple-
    hiding it in the pellets and watching to make sure it gets shoveled up with the food.
    Powdering it and sprinkling it on food.
    Hiding it in some watermelon

One of the best ways though- was to get a little devise kind of like a syringe- it has a plunger that kind of pokes the pill into the mouth. It was actually given to me by the vet on about week 6. Designed for use with cats and dogs- I found it pretty handy- but again I did end up needing help with holding him still.

Just be careful however you do it- Keep them on a towel for a few minutes after and I bet you will often find the pill on the floor when you are positive it was swallowed.

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Now THAT is a brilliant idea!

6. duckdad

duckdad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Go to the local drug store and get a pill-crusher and grind the pill to dust, them mix that in with a small amount of a treat that the duck will definitely eat 100%. Cucumber is good, sprinkle in with any wet food.

Sometimes the duck will find the pill in the water bowl and go for it...My little one was fascinated by the red thing in the bottom of the water bowl and would not wait for it to dissolve...she'd dive in there and swallow that whole like a big girl..funny, my brother was 19 before he could do that [​IMG]

7. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    Just thought I would let you know how I am getting the ducks to eat the pills. I cut the pills in half, then slide each halved pill into a pea. They eat the peas not knowing that there are pills inside it. Gotta love peas!

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You are a terrific sneak!! Congratulations! And thanks 1,000,000!

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by