how do hatcheries keep their breeders?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by sydney13, Jul 15, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    their doesn't seem to be much info on the breeder chickens that hatcheries use which is what im curious about. ive always assumed that they are kept in cages but after reading an article about metzer farms it showed pics of their breeding ducks and geese that where kept in big grassy outdoor pens. so i was wondering do most hatcheries keep their birds those large outdoor pens or are the kept in indoor cages?

2. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    Thats a good question. I've always wondered the same thing. I had heard that some hatcheries buy eggs from outside/contracted breeders and then just hatch them. No birds on premisis. Anyone know?

3. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    We keep ours on the floor. Go to www.townlinehatchery.com and check the pictures. I think all hatcheries keep on the floor in large pens.

4. arherp

arherp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    Yes, on the floor. A large, barn-like building. Straw goes on the floor for easy cleanup.

5. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    Just wanted to say be careful where this goes. There are a lot of people who think hatcheries are no better than puppy mills and this tends to lead to heated debate.

I'd like to think they have more space (maybe even close to free range) than most factory laying hens since the roo needs some room to do his job.

6. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    That's a good question, Im wondering that too. But the floor thing makes sense, seems like the easiest way to keep large amounts of birds, but thats a good question...

7. I visited Cackle hatchery. They DO NOT have thier breeders on the premisses. They use independent breeder farms for thier eggs. Apparently these people have some breeds and others have other breeds for the eggs.

i guess iit workes out well for both parties.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by