How do hens tolerate their chicks being taken away?

Lucy4

Songster
10 Years
Mar 7, 2009
where chickens dare to tread..
When you have a hen sit on eggs and then the babies are taken elsewhere to be raised, does she get upset? I may be anthropomorphizing here. But the thought bothers me.

I have a BO who is consistently broody every other month. My friend asked if she could hatch some eggs for her. Timing didn't work out this time, but I was wondering in case it does. We couldn't keep the chicks here for any length of time anyway. (We have a variance for our 4 particular chickens, but evil neighbors would love to find a reason to get it revoked.)

I would think it would upsetting for a new mom to have her babies taken away, chicken or no. If that's the case, I don't want to do that to my hen. But I really have no idea.

Thanks for any insight.

When I took babies away from my last broody, she squaked and freaked out for about 5 minutes, then I gave her some cracked corn...babies? what babies?

yuckyuck.gif

Quote:

I have a broody silkie and she is hatching my babies. I take them away so she can work on the next batch. Same deal - Cracked corn Okay. see ya kids!

Too bad that rotten bio moms of kids in foster care won't give up their kids that easily... Just sayin' that because of other threads on here.

Back
Top Bottom