1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how do i add water on the 18th day without opening the incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by orlandoluv1, Mar 23, 2008.

1. orlandoluv1

orlandoluv1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    spring valley , CA
    my incubator is a small yellow chep dome one i was wondering about putting water in them on the 18th day and on to bring up the humidity. i hear everyone saying not to open the incubator from the 18th day on so i really dont know what to do. since the incubator is so small as soon as i add water the humidity and temperature go back up pretty quickly. so would that make it not a problem if i open it to add some water in there? thanxs

2. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    i dont think it will hurt if you do it quick then dont open again until they have hatched

3. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry, I wish I had an answer for you. Mine is a Hova and I rigged up tubing so that I could add more if needed after 18 days. Are there any vents or hole or anything? You might be able to use a straw or pipet or something if there are small openings. I'm not familiar with your bator, sorry. [​IMG]

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Usually most people candle the eggs one last time on day 18 when they stop turning so thats when you get to add more water for your humidity....

5. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Open it and add the water. you just want the humidity up for the hatch.

6. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I stick a plastic tube through one of my air holes and use a syringe to put water in the bator [​IMG]

7. orlandoluv1

orlandoluv1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    spring valley , CA
    cool that sounds good i think i might try to find a small strw and stick it through an air hole.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by