How do I break a dog of killing chickens????????

yse, the dead chicken thing doesn't work. Dogs love dead things lol You also run the risk of attracting vermin to your house by having your dog drag around a rotting carcass until it falls apart.
Work on the leave it command. And some dogs can never be trusted unattended, they simply have too much prey drive. But I've never met a dog that couldn't be MANAGED by a willing owner.

Find the closest distance that the dog first notices the birds in the brooder. This might be in another room if he is one to constantly glance at the door. Put your dog on leash and get some extra special treats that he only gets for this work - bacon, grilled chicken (no spices!), hot dog chunks, etc. When the dog glances toward the birds, say his name and "leave it" If he looks at you, give him a treat - if he doesn't, give a light pop on the leash (think tap on the shoulder). When he looks at you reward him.
You can also teach him "watch me" the same way. You can practice this at random times though out the day. If you have a couple extra minutes while you're watching TV or whatever, just say his name, pause, "watch me" When he makes eye contact, then reward him. You can also (if you get in the habit of keeping a small treat in your pockets) catch him looking towards you say "watch me" and then reward. Or just praise him verbally.

Once the dog is reliably paying attention to you and the birds at a distance, move a little bit closer. If he absolutely blows you off, you're too close. Just back up a bit and begin again. Eventually you will be right amongst the birds. You can then start at a distance or with a long line (20' leash or so) and work from there. I never ever leave my dogs/chickens loose unattended together.
I don't even trust Rayden
I don't mean I constantly hover over the dogs when they are out with the birds, but I am in the area and aware of what they are doing. Think of it as a small child. Even though you've taught them not to play with matches, would you leave them alone in the house with matches scattered all over the floor?

The most important part of the training is to set the dog up to succeed. Don't give him a chance to chase the birds. Don't give him a chance to disobey.

ETA: The best thing about teaching "leave it" is that it works for everything. Drop something on the floor and don't want the dogs to touch it? "leave it" See dog running toward a snake? "leave it" Lots of training and work, but it pays off!
Of course, some dogs just can't be trusted off-leash. Period. They are just too focused on the birds. In that case, just confine the dog when the birds are out.

yse, the dead chicken thing doesn't work. Dogs love dead things lol You also run the risk of attracting vermin to your house by having your dog drag around a rotting carcass until it falls apart.
Work on the leave it command. And some dogs can never be trusted unattended, they simply have too much prey drive. But I've never met a dog that couldn't be MANAGED by a willing owner.

Find the closest distance that the dog first notices the birds in the brooder. This might be in another room if he is one to constantly glance at the door. Put your dog on leash and get some extra special treats that he only gets for this work - bacon, grilled chicken (no spices!), hot dog chunks, etc. When the dog glances toward the birds, say his name and "leave it" If he looks at you, give him a treat - if he doesn't, give a light pop on the leash (think tap on the shoulder). When he looks at you reward him.
You can also teach him "watch me" the same way. You can practice this at random times though out the day. If you have a couple extra minutes while you're watching TV or whatever, just say his name, pause, "watch me" When he makes eye contact, then reward him. You can also (if you get in the habit of keeping a small treat in your pockets) catch him looking towards you say "watch me" and then reward. Or just praise him verbally.

Once the dog is reliably paying attention to you and the birds at a distance, move a little bit closer. If he absolutely blows you off, you're too close. Just back up a bit and begin again. Eventually you will be right amongst the birds. You can then start at a distance or with a long line (20' leash or so) and work from there. I never ever leave my dogs/chickens loose unattended together.
I don't even trust Rayden
I don't mean I constantly hover over the dogs when they are out with the birds, but I am in the area and aware of what they are doing. Think of it as a small child. Even though you've taught them not to play with matches, would you leave them alone in the house with matches scattered all over the floor?

The most important part of the training is to set the dog up to succeed. Don't give him a chance to chase the birds. Don't give him a chance to disobey.

ETA: The best thing about teaching "leave it" is that it works for everything. Drop something on the floor and don't want the dogs to touch it? "leave it" See dog running toward a snake? "leave it" Lots of training and work, but it pays off!
Of course, some dogs just can't be trusted off-leash. Period. They are just too focused on the birds. In that case, just confine the dog when the birds are out.

Thanks!!!!!!!!! This is really helpful!!!!! By the way Rayden is sooo cute!!!!! I will work on teaching him to leave it. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

It takes a lot of training ...lots lots lots! We have always had great Danes, and since they are very quickly at table and counter height we have lots of "leave it" training experience. It starts with a stay...when they have that down, add distracting treats...but ONLY at a distance where you can beat them to it if they go for it. Our method...never release the dog to get it themselves...You pick up the treat, walk it to them, AND give them a bonus one from your pocket. It slowly sinks in that if they delay gratification for a bit, they get a better reward, and you are pleased with them. Only if you can get your dog to be completely trusted with this, can you go to the next level....a sit, stay, then come, walking past the treat on the ground...when they reach you, they sit, you walk over to the treat, then give it and a bonus. If you can get this level of control, and a really good treat outranks the chickens in the dogs mind, you have a shot. I don't know if it will work with a dog that's already succeeded killing chickens, or with chickens who will excitedly flee from your dog though...our chickens ignore our dog but are very excitable if a strange dog (or person!) is around.
If you are really desperate to keep both, I'm guessing a shock collar would be the most expedient, even though I'm not keen on the idea. If your dog has other behavior issues, it might worsen the situation?

With my 5 month old Pitty Pup Bowser we kind of did the whole domination thing pinned him down until he submitted then slowly made sure he knew that DH and I are the alphas,we then introduced 2 of our meaties because they are larger than the other chickens ;plus if the dog decided to attack we wouldn't be losing much. He ran up to the larger one who pecked the heck out of him,which caused him to back off. I then commanded him to lay down and the set the smaller meatie on him,while the larger walked around him. He quickly figured out that they can hurt him and decided to leave them alone. Now I can sit one day old chicks on him and he will look at them give them a quick lick and lay down. I am not saying I would trust him unsupervised but while I am out in the coop/run he is behind me or walking beside me. He will lay in the run on his back while the chickens walk all over him or snuggle up with him.

Though I have always been under the impression once a dog kills one of your chickens they more than likely will do it again. I have 2 other dogs whom, I do NOT trust around my flock. I know if they were given the chance they would have chicken dinners.

I think I was able to get Bowser to respect and understand that the chickens are not food by working with him at 2 months old and continuing to work with him;the other 2 there isn't much hope for them they are both about 5 years old and have proven if given a chance they will chase and attempt to catch and kill,they used to chase the ducks at the lake,never caught one but gave it a heck of a try. That is how I know they will not listen when in pursuit of a chicken or duck. Best of luck and maybe the E-collar will work if not hot wire around your run. I know you said something about having little kids around,but it only takes a couple of times touching a hot wire,to leave it alone. My kids learned about them even after I said to not touch it.

Good Luck! Hopefully you don't lose anymore chickens.

With my 5 month old Pitty Pup Bowser we kind of did the whole domination thing pinned him down until he submitted then slowly made sure he knew that DH and I are the alphas,we then introduced 2 of our meaties because they are larger than the other chickens ;plus if the dog decided to attack we wouldn't be losing much. He ran up to the larger one who pecked the heck out of him,which caused him to back off. I then commanded him to lay down and the set the smaller meatie on him,while the larger walked around him. He quickly figured out that they can hurt him and decided to leave them alone. Now I can sit one day old chicks on him and he will look at them give them a quick lick and lay down. I am not saying I would trust him unsupervised but while I am out in the coop/run he is behind me or walking beside me. He will lay in the run on his back while the chickens walk all over him or snuggle up with him.

Though I have always been under the impression once a dog kills one of your chickens they more than likely will do it again. I have 2 other dogs whom, I do NOT trust around my flock. I know if they were given the chance they would have chicken dinners.

I think I was able to get Bowser to respect and understand that the chickens are not food by working with him at 2 months old and continuing to work with him;the other 2 there isn't much hope for them they are both about 5 years old and have proven if given a chance they will chase and attempt to catch and kill,they used to chase the ducks at the lake,never caught one but gave it a heck of a try. That is how I know they will not listen when in pursuit of a chicken or duck. Best of luck and maybe the E-collar will work if not hot wire around your run. I know you said something about having little kids around,but it only takes a couple of times touching a hot wire,to leave it alone. My kids learned about them even after I said to not touch it.

Good Luck! Hopefully you don't lose anymore chickens.

Thanks!!!!!!! He is scared of one of my hens she is a New Hampshire Red she pecked him allot so now he is scared of her.

I know how annoying it is to read those comments from "that one A-hole" and I hate to sound like that A-hole, but I have never had a problem with my dogs and my chickens. From the time we got them we used the word "no" in order to let them know what was good, bad, right, and wrong. So far, they haven't even feigned an interest in our chickens, aside from wanting to eat the chicken feed we spill around the yard for them. In fact, we let them in their pen when they're not out free-ranging and the craziest thing happens. They freaking eat right alongside them! I've never seen anything like it with these dogs.

I know this is a total fluke and our dogs are probably one very rare exception to a very old rule, but I have to admit, the SECOND one of our dogs does so much as thinks about killing a chicken, it's back to a massive fenced in structure with no access for the dogs.

I think that a lot of what keeps the dogs away from killing is the ferociousness of our stupid ******* Rhode Island Red rooster, who is a complete jerk, aggressive and very VERY big. He seems to scare the dogs.

One thing I've noticed over time (and I should include the fact that we have been raising and training dogs far longer than chickens) is that a dog that has never been allowed to kill an animal before seems to be more interested in a chicken than anything else. It doesn't seem to really know how to kill one. That being said, it doesn't take long for it to figure out. But when we introduce the chickens to the dogs (as chicks and as puppies) they seem to form a kind of relationship that I can only relate to that of guardian dogs.

Perhaps we are just nourishing that and nothing more.

My parents, on the other hand, have NEVER had any luck with dogs and chickens. It seems that no matter what dog and what chickens they have, some of the chickens always get killed. What I've noticed from observing them over time is that it usually happens to younger chicks and the killers are usually younger dogs. It doesn't seem to happen with older hens that have been raised around dogs for a long time.

Again, just my input. I don't want to sound like "that A-hole".

I think the shock collar training is a good idea. But a fence that keeps dogs out probably would work best.

If your dogs are inside dogs, or at least partial inside dogs, then they're around you more often, which means you probably condition them a lot more, scold them more often, and have trained them far more. That might help when you tell them "NO!" if they get too close to a chicken while you're outside with them all. If you have outside dogs, I would think it would be tough to keep them from being curious and finding out what chicken blood tastes like.

Dammit, if dogs could just be cool and leave chickens alone, right? :)

Back
Top Bottom