How do I break hens form laying everyplace but the nest?

wowmanacat

Songster
Apr 1, 2011
Oak Grove AR
I have a few hens that no matter what they will lay under my house. I can get to most of them but they keep moving the where they lay. I just found 13 eggs(not sure how old some are) in a nest under my house. I have tried locking them in the coop for a few days but there are a few that get out of the coop and still go lay under the house. These darn girl just fly/climb up the wire and get out. I can get under the house with some ease to get to the eggs. Thank you for any advice.

Put some fake eggs or golf balls in the nest boxes. To show them where you want them to lay. You can also make curtains for the nest boxes to give them some privacy. Don't laugh! I've heard of people doing that and it worked. Good luck!

Put some fake eggs or golf balls in the nest boxes. To show them where you want them to lay. You can also make curtains for the nest boxes to give them some privacy. Don't laugh! I've heard of people doing that and it worked. Good luck!

I was also going to suggest darkening the boxes and adding dummy eggs. Chickens lay where they feel the eggs will be safe. Block off the site you found if you can and increase the appeal of the desired site.

I have put fake eggs in the boxes, they get kicked out at times. I have the nest in the back of the coop too. I plan on blocking off under the house as soon as money allows for mats to do so. I am finding that some of the hen are even laying out in the yard and that. I might just have to build a whole new coop and run at some point, which is something that I would relly like to do anyways.

Back
Top Bottom