how do i break my dog of killing my chickens?

I will update as training progresses. First I want to have him wear the collar for a while with no shocking, so he hopefully will not associate with the collar.

Just got laid off for the winter, fire season is over in my neck of the woods. That means I will be home every day until somewhere around may. Just finished clipping a wing on each chicken so hopefully they won't be able to get over the dog fence. So far I can't get my dog to go near the birds while I'm around.. I feel that seperation may be the only answer for me

Last edited:
I think you are wise to consider that keeping dog/birds separate at all times is probably the answer in this case. You are dealing with a dog whose breeding comes from two breeds that are both known for a high prey drive. He knows to do this behavior when you are not around. Some dogs are also smart enough to learn when they are wearing the shock collar and when they aren't. I would absolutely work on this dogs training but for the sake of your birds I would never allow them to mix, no matter how well you think this dog is trained in the future. Dog out/birds locked up and vice versa. For some dogs it's just to much temptation to resist.

Having five GSD's and having been obedience training their breed for quite some time..... I have one that is (although well trained) a problem.... all of the others are wonderful (desensitised) guardians.

I believe that training is of paramount importance ( despite the breed ) ... sadly for me the one that causes issues is a dog that never experienced life with chickens.... ( he is a wonderful guardian with ducks and geese... however he will chase chickens ) he has never killed one but I am concerned about him causing stress to them.

I have extensive knowledge of this breed and will say that they have no more instinct than any other breed for being predatory... they do not have a high prey drive if they are well trained and have a trained focus on herding and companionship...

A terrier is more likely to kill than a highly intelligent dog....

You can try a shock collar BUT it may not be a simple solution... YOU need to spend a lot of time with your dog.. training never stops... it is an ongoing dedication to both the dog and your fowl......

I train my dogs EVERY day... my theory is that if you do not put it in you do not get it out... they need to understand what we are expecting of them....

You can achieve... never give up on your dog

Try thinking like a dog, as in the 'pack' mentality. I do think it is possible to train a dog to leave your chickens alone. But it does take a lot of time and patience and a few lost birds in the process.
We have 2 dogs, a Jack and a German Sheppard/Golden Lab mix. I trust the Jack nearly 100%. (he does NOT like baby chicks hatched in Mom's room, but outside is okay
roll.png
). The GS/GL mix is still in the learning phase, but so much better now than when we first adopted him. Praise, treats, attention for good behavior and making sure he gets more positive attention that the chickens do has helped a lot. Not to say he would NEVER attack chickens and be 100% trustworthy, but he's making great strides.

Depends on the dog,some dogs no matter how much training they have,can never be trusted around chickens. Often the slightest thing will trigger their prey drive and they are off and running. I have a male black lab,he is not allowed anywhere near my chickens,he has shown that he cannot be trusted. He is an excellent retriever and listens very well,but has a high prey drive. My 160+lb female english mastiff is fine around chickens,she never goes after them and basically ignores them,but i would never leave her alone with them. A dog is a predator he may be sweet and sleep on your bed,but make no mistake they are predators. My chickens are pets and i would never put them at risk from a dog attack.

Back
Top Bottom