How do I breed an autosexing chicken?

Silkies 13

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2022
Hi I'm a newbie, I've kept chickens for 3 yrs now. I want to breed an autosexing chicken from my plymouth rock and cinnamon queen roo. Is this possible?

No, it’s not likely to produce an autosexing breed. Neither of these are colors that are duckwing based and most autosexing chickens are duckwing+barred.
That said, sex links are possible by crossing these birds together. The male chicks should have white spots on the head and females should not
When they mature you will see the males are black barred with silver or yellow or red leakage, with a chance for dominant white as well.
The female offspring will mature without barring with silver, gold, or red leakage, and a chance for dominant white.
Cinnamon queens have a big mess of genetics. 😅

Thanks, so I can create sex-links? I just need to get duck-wing colored purebred roos now.

Thanks, so I can create sex-links? I just need to get duck-wing colored purebred roos now.
You can create sex LINKS with your current rooster.

They won't breed true (sex linked) in future offspring's offspring.. but the first generation of chicks WILL be sex linked.

Auto sexing means even the offspring's offspring will be sexable at hatch and breed true from one generation to the next.

Sex linked and auto sexing are separate terms. Sex linked is one generation only. Auto sexing is long term to all generations. Hope that makes sense!.

I was able to make a sexlinked cockerel with a Barred Rock pullet and a Columbian Wyandotte cockerel. He hatched with pretty much the same markings as a Barred Rock chick would have. Pretty cool.

Hi I'm a newbie, I've kept chickens for 3 yrs now. I want to breed an autosexing chicken from my plymouth rock and cinnamon queen roo. Is this possible?
Cinnamon Queens are red sex linked hybrids.They won't produce true. You need a purebred rooster like a Rhode Island red or a New Hampshire to produce sex links using your pure bred barred hen. The males will have white dots on their heads.

Because Cinnamon Queens are the offspring of a red and white Rhode islands(purebreds) you will technically have sex links but I suspect he would throw some white chicks (and if so you won't be able to see the head spots) I don't know anything about breeding sex link offspring back to barred hens. Maybe someone here can better help you and let you know what color chicks to expect.I've read some sex links can't be identified upon hatching out until they feather out because their down is the same color.

Back
Top Bottom