How do I care for a broody mama?

FarmMama6

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2023
Hello,

I have a devoted bantam hen who is broody right now. She has fertilized eggs under her. I moved her to my basement so she could have a quiet, secluded place to hatch her eggs. Then I realized that, unless I keep the light on, she will always be in the dark. Does she need to see sunlight?

Thanks

Is it pitch black dark? Or is there enough light from windows that she can at least see food and other things in front of her? As long as she is able to find food and water without trouble she'll be fine. She does need to get off the nest once a day for at least 30 minutes, to poop, preen, scratch around in the dirt, and maybe take a dust bath.

Is it pitch black dark? Or is there enough light from windows that she can at least see food and other things in front of her? As long as she is able to find food and water without trouble she'll be fine. She does need to get off the nest once a day for at least 30 minutes, to poop, preen, scratch around in the dirt, and maybe take a dust bath.
There are no windows. I have been turning on the lights during the day. There is obviously no dirt down there... Maybe I should put her back outside?

There are no windows. I have been turning on the lights during the day. There is obviously no dirt down there... Maybe I should put her back outside?
Sorry, I meant taking her out of the garage and back outside for 30 mins or so.

Can you post pics of the current setup? If you did move her back outside, do you have a separate space you can put her in?

Back
Top Bottom