How Do I choose a Silkie Breeder?

airynn

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 19, 2017
I am new to silkies. I have 5 that I got from a breeder last summer. I want to start raising silkies and would like to do a dozen hatching eggs this spring/summer if and when a hen goes broody. There are not show quality silkie breeders near me and the two farms I'm considering buying hatching eggs from are equal distance away from me, both have show quality silkies, and their hatching eggs are the same price. How do I decide whom to buy from? Both have the potential to hatch naked necks, satins, and frizzles as well.

Sounds like they aren't breeders I personally would deal with if your wanting to breed Silkies. A good breeder should have all their breeds separate. If I order Silkie eggs I want 100% Silkies to hatch. Look for someone who breeds and also shows ideally.

Definitely if you're looking for a breeding project that's already started you will need to inspect their livestock yourself.

I don't view our silkies as a mistake because they are big on personality. However I do wish I would have gone out and inspected them prior to ordering the eggs.

Definitely if you're looking for a breeding project that's already started you will need to inspect their livestock yourself.

I don't view our silkies as a mistake because they are big on personality. However I do wish I would have gone out and inspected them prior to ordering the eggs.
I disagree just a bit that you should only buy stock for breeding projects that you can see in person. In the world of breed conservation, this is often impossible. You can still get great stock via shipped eggs or chicks. The most important thing is to find a breeder that has an established reputation, has a verifiable paper trail for the origin of their stock, and only keeps one breed (or has solid procedures for the separate keeping of multiple breeds).

I am new to silkies. I have 5 that I got from a breeder last summer. I want to start raising silkies and would like to do a dozen hatching eggs this spring/summer if and when a hen goes broody. There are not show quality silkie breeders near me and the two farms I'm considering buying hatching eggs from are equal distance away from me, both have show quality silkies, and their hatching eggs are the same price. How do I decide whom to buy from? Both have the potential to hatch naked necks, satins, and frizzles as well.

Back
Top Bottom