How do i choose my breeders?

you watch them, you choose the hens you like, the roos you like, for either size or color. it will not be long before they have "your" look.
1 to 3 ratio or 1 to 4, is what I am using.

Quote:
almost all of mine are related, you have to add new blood every now and then but they can be related.

I know but it aint smart to breed fathers with daugthers, mothers with sons or brothers with sisters(50% inbreed), 25% inbreed should be fine i was told by an showbreeder.
He explained me that if you inbreed several generations after each other it can cause infertillity and weak birds.
I was out of quail for 2 years but i started again and hatched my first 10 in 2 years:D, i hatched them as a test for my secondhand still air incubator wich i'm going to use as a hatcher.
I want to start 2 flocks of brown coturnix so i can switch roosters and hens. I'm planning to breed with selected quails for the first generations and after that i'm gonna to inbreed them with 25% a few times to make them into a real strain.

Here's another variable to consider. I got my first eggs today! Very excited:) the problem is I have no place to separate and see who's laying so I guess I'll start with size and sex move to color then eenie meenie minee moe.
smile.png

Quote:
He raised both, he's one of the best show breeders in Holland.

Calihawk, wich type of quail do you've got?

Last edited:
Quote:
You don't have to do that, and
eenie meenie minee moe.
smile.png

is an inside joke! Kinda like perpetual sameness and all that
smile.png

Good luck with your hatch!​

you can use food coloring in the vent if you want to know for sure! just make sure you pick a color that will stand out a bit.

Quote:
The quest for Moby Quail continues...... Kinda new to this but one thing I have learned here is coturnix are only going to get so big. Some have reported 16....dare I say 18oz quail. Many very educated people with deep pockets have tried to breed for huge all white meat quail, and so far all of those people with deep pockets have failed. Good luck though.

Quote:
He raised both, he's one of the best show breeders in Holland.

Calihawk, wich type of quail do you've got?

Jumbo brown coturnix.

Back
Top Bottom