How do I clean her vent..pics

Dawg53 has a good post somewhere about the method for getting tapeworm, but it is for Valbazen, not SafeGuard. For tapes you need to use a larger dose than usual. Normally you would give a pea-sized amount (or 1/2 ml) of SafeGuard, but I would give 2 or 3 times that, for 3 days in a row. Than repeat in 10 days for 3 straight days. Tapeworm is hard to get rid of, but is not an emergency--the other worms are what is important now. She may well be showing some symptoms of Mareks. Here is some reading: http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/search/disease/502

Called feed store..he has safeguard wormer for horses a paste..gonna go get it and will figure how to do it. He never heard of giving it to chickens..lol..oh gosh what a mess..Pull through Bella :)
You can use Safeguard horse paste and the most effective dose would be no less than .2ml per 2.2 pounds (20mg/kg) by mouth three days in a row.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Not looking so good pic..she is truly trying and alert and curious as always. Has taken a few steps and plops down and tries again. I did give her fresh water no Corid and the Safeguard..I am not sure how to measure this..so went with the BB size suggestion..even took a pic of how much I gave her..I am sure I must look so inexperience (I am) this is my first flock..got four pullets, one just drop dead out of blue few months ago and now this..My other two seem very healthy so far..So I took a pic of how much I put on a piece of bread and she gobbled up..should I go ahead and do the other two hens?

Panacur or Safeguard, both are 10% fenbendazole
From left to right:
Small = 10mg ( .1cc)
Medium = 25mg (.25cc)
Large = 50mg ( .5cc)

The way she is standing looks very similar to the "penguin walk"a hen may exhibit if egg bound. Have you checked her for being egg bound.

Last edited:
She gave an egg yesterday afternoon...She did get up and walk out of bathroom..took a big slide when hit the hardwood floor. She is chirping and bauking up a storm. Back to just sitting now. Thank you so much for visual on wormer, huge help. Is that all I should be doing now. Anything in water like vitamin or such?

You could try giving her some calcium, like 250mg-500mg and see if she perks up after that, but first do some research on hypocalcemia and see if she has any of the symptoms.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom