How do I control bugs and smell in my duck house?

cher1fan

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 12, 2014
I just built my duck house and pen, my ducks have not moved in yet, we are putting the roof on tonight weather permitting. But, I was wondering how to control the bugs and smell. I was going to use the deep litter method in the house intil I read that you will get nematodes . . . . . . ewwwwwww!!!!

Keep it dry, dont feed or water them in the coop if possible, and not keeping feed/water in overnight will help too. I use agricultural lime every few weeks in mine, spread it on the ground to kill bugs living there and keep away flies, and use those sticky fly tape things. Theres still a few flies, but no stinky mess or swarms of bugs for me this way.

Keep it dry, dont feed or water them in the coop if possible, and not keeping feed/water in overnight will help too. I use agricultural lime every few weeks in mine, spread it on the ground to kill bugs living there and keep away flies, and use those sticky fly tape things. Theres still a few flies, but no stinky mess or swarms of bugs for me this way.
I actually only feed at night.

Bugs? Smell? Hmmmm.

A sprinkling of diatomaceous earth especially around cracks, under the bedding, pick the noticeable spots and stir with a cultivator daily, add fresh bedding every few days. Add a 2 gallon bucket of dry peat moss per bale of shavings, mix well. Food and water in a separate section with a sand floor over half inch metal hardware cloth. Or use a watering station.

Try some fly predators - they look like fruit flies, but they kill houseflies. A few flytraps will help, too, you can make your own with 2 liter soda pop bottles.

Hang a Little Tree Vanillaroma near the door of the duck house - it is supposed to repel flies. I let them air out for a few days, they are pretty whiffy, before I put them near the duck night pen door - the idea is to keep flies from coming in. Seems to work.

Thank you, I'll try the ideas everyone gave me. I purchased Diatomaceous earth but it says it is a diet supplement. Did I buy the wrong thing?

Mine have 24/7 water in their house. They stop in during the day for a drink as well.

I hose my duck house out daily. Ducks play under it while cleaning it out.

I pick clean and stir bedding several times a week. Their can be a few flies -only those the ducks cannot reach lol- but nothing super bad.. their is water and a big feeder in the main barn.. but in smaller coops i skip it to avoid mess..

DE is good, so is stall dry a horse stall additive.

Back
Top Bottom