how do i convince my parents to let me get a duckling?

ok so, I am trying to convince my parents to let me get a duck. They're very stubborn and are saying no but I really really want a duck. I am a teenager and they do not think I am responsible enough for a duck, though if I got one I would be so happy and very responsible, but they just don't believe me.
how should I convince them? I need something really good because there very stubborn!
please help me fulfill my dream life with a duck!!!
Wash their dishes

Wether you go with giving them to the neighbor or not that was a very important detail you left out. It is much easier to convince your parents for a duck if they have somewhere to go. Here is what I would do. I would do as we have said. Get a job to pay for feed and animals. Make a presentation that shows you are responsible. Include that the ducks have a place to go if they let you have them then change their mind. Agree that if they will let you have the ducks and you dont take FULL care of them they have the power to send them over to the neighbors. Dont feel offended by some of the people on here. Most of us include our feelings (and we dont eat ALL of our pets). These that you are offended by are full of information. They look at it differently. There are many routes you could go. Choose the one that you like best but you must understand responsibility.

parents don’t need a presentation to know if their child is responsible or not. they have years of evidence on which to form that opinion.

in fact, all it would prove is that time was spent on a powerpoint instead of chores or other responsibilities.

Very true. A small presentation just shows that you spent time and researched. I do not totally disagree with you. This person did admit that he was irrisponsible. However, you must change that at some point in your life so it might as well be now with ducks as a motivator. Personally I dont like ducks. They are too messy. Just trying to look at what could be a bright side to things! My parents know I research without a presentation. I never quit talking about chickens!

um, guys i just want a duck...
All you guys are doing is repeating what you have said in other parts of the conversation...
i just want somone to say straight out "ok heres what you need in order to take care of ducks" I have money and stuff ready. recently ive been doing my chores without them asking me to do it so stop harassing me about that. if your going to tell me something pleaseeee just tell me what i need.
thats all i want at the moment.

um, guys i just want a duck...
All you guys are doing is repeating what you have said in other parts of the conversation...
i just want somone to say straight out "ok heres what you need in order to take care of ducks" I have money and stuff ready. recently ive been doing my chores without them asking me to do it so stop harassing me about that. if your going to tell me something pleaseeee just tell me what i need.
thats all i want at the moment.
If you haven't already, I suggest you start a thread with your questions on duck care. People are still discussing how to convince your parents to let you get ducks, as your original question was.
Don't blame people for their opinions when you asked for them in the first place.

It's not so much a question on how to convince your parents as much as it is a question on if the proper care of ducks and your current circumstances are compatible and they really aren't but that can be amended with time. Everything worth having is worth waiting for. This just might be a goal for a later time.

From a parents perspective my biggest concerns would be:

-Who's going to pay for it? (my ducks overall have cost me more than my dogs and I have three AKC registered dogs with two of the three being from show lines).

-At the end of the day when all is said and done who's REALLY going to take care of it? My boys are pretty great with chores even thought they're young, but my mom calls me all of the time to complain about my brother bringing home pets and then she has to take care of it.

-How is the the animal going to impact our space? Is it going to take up all of the lawn? Is there even enough room for us to still have our space outside separate? Ducks require 4sq ft. of coop minimum per bird and 11 sq ft. of run minimum per bird. I love my ducks and we have always had enough room to keep them separate. However, if I wanted to go outside to play soccer with my kids and everyone was slip sliding in duck poop because there was no other place to play I would not have ducks...

Now as a parent my solution would be for my kids:

-Take care of ALL pets without me asking for an extended period of time. A week of miraculous behavior would not be enough to convince me I'm talking months of consistency.

-A planned out budget on how they planned to exactly take care of the ducks expenses. Feed, building a coop, building a run, feeders, waterers, a savings account for vet care, putting together a first aid kit etc.

-Several drawn up possible locations for the coop and run along with proper dimensions to work out the best possible location.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom