how do i convince my parents to let me get a duckling?

Pics

ducklover4ever

In the Brooder
Dec 22, 2021
ok so, I am trying to convince my parents to let me get a duck. They're very stubborn and are saying no but I really really want a duck. I am a teenager and they do not think I am responsible enough for a duck, though if I got one I would be so happy and very responsible, but they just don't believe me.
how should I convince them? I need something really good because there very stubborn!
please help me fulfill my dream life with a duck!!!

ok so, I am trying to convince my parents to let me get a duck. They're very stubborn and are saying no but I really really want a duck. I am a teenager and they do not think I am responsible enough for a duck, though if I got one I would be so happy and very responsible, but they just don't believe me.
how should I convince them? I need something really good because there very stubborn!
please help me fulfill my dream life with a duck!!!
That might be very hard. My parents wouldn't let me either if I asked:idunno Now I can have ducks but I don't. Lol. Maybe one day✨

yes, I definitely will get 2 ducklings if they let me get a duck in the first place, my brother(who is older) wants one as well so it could definitely work out if my parents agree.:fl
I would read a few articles about the pros and cons of keeping ducks first. Then maybe write it down and show it to them

yes, we do have other animals, we have 2 dogs a cat, and a guinea pig. Our dogs are very low maintenance and most of the time sleep. Our cat usually stays in our basement. And the guinea pigs are well guinea pigs they don't really do much just eat hay all day.
Also, i am adopted so when I was with my old home ( i was like 4 ) my neighbor had ducks and chickens. I was very fond of them, and I have pictures of me playing with ducks to this day :)

They're very stubborn and are saying no but I really really want a duck. I am a teenager and they do not think I am responsible enough for a duck, though if I got one I would be so happy and very responsible, but they just don't believe me.
how should I convince them?

First, make sure ducks are allowed where you live.
Many places allow dogs and cats but forbid ducks and chickens along with large farm animals.

If a duck would be illegal where you live, then I'm sure your parents will not give in.

But if ducks are allowed, you should think about why your parents are saying "no."

If they think you are not responsible, think about whether they might be right. Especially think about what things they tell you to do each day, and what things they need to remind you over and over to do, then start remembering to do those things yourself. If you show responsibility in other areas of your life, they will more easily believe that you can be responsible about caring for a duck.

For an example, if I had a teenager that needed reminding about homework, and reminding to feed the cat, and reminding to go to bed at night, and I had to wake them up in the morning, and then they dawdled and missed the school bus so I had to drive them to school, and they complained about mowing the lawn: I would certainly not let them get any other pets! But if I had a teenager who was managing those kinds of things well, I would be more willing to consider new pets. (I don't know what you do, so I deliberately made this example a bit overdone.)

You can learn about what ducks need (read books, or learn on the internet.) It is important to know what an animal needs before you get the animal. Even if they do not let you get a duck, if you learn what ducks need, you will be ready to get ducks when you are grown up and making your own decisions. Learn what kind of housing ducks need (how big, how much shelter from the weather, how to keep out predators, how to keep it dry, how much ventilation they need). Learn about what to feed them, how much to feed them, and where to get the food. Learn about what bedding works well, and what bedding is available. Learn about how much water they need and what kind of containers it should be in (ducks need to drink and wash their faces frequently, but swimming needs a much bigger water container.) If you live in an area with cold winters, learn about how to keep their water thawed, or how often you will have to carry fresh water to them.

Think about who will take care of the ducks: probably you most of the time, but consider family vacations, trips to camp, when you get sick, and things like that.

Also think about how long ducks are likely to live.
If you go away to college, or move to a place where you cannot keep ducks, your parents may not want to take care of the ducks. So they might give the ducks away, or butcher the ducks and eat them-- plan ahead, so there are no unpleasant surprises!

I don't know your parents, so I'm making guesses based on the parents and teenagers I have known (including my own parents.)

Hello and welcome to BackYard Chickens!

I would get at least 2 or 3 ducks since they are very social. It's best to get even a few more if possible just incase some pass or have to be rehomed (if you can't keep drakes).

I suggest you put together a PowerPoint presentation, or at least a research paper to show that you have done your research and can properly care for your animals. If you have any other pets be sure to take responsibility to show your parents you are capable. Of course working hard to get good grades, cleaning up after yourself, and just being responsible in general will show that you are ready for more things to care for.
Be sure that you can afford the cost of keeping ducks, including emergency vet visits. Ducks can be expensive to provide for, especially when you want to give them the best life possible. It's important to not go the cheap route with a small prefab coop and low quality food just to get ducks. And creating a safe and strong coop is important for keeping your ducks alive and well, so take costs into consideration.

It's smart for any parent to not want to impulsively purchase live animals without first being sure they'll be well cared for and that they won't end up being an issue. Do try to be understanding and ask what their concerns are.

BYC is a great place to learn all about ducks so that you can explain why it is that you think ducks would be a good addition. We'll always be willing to help answer any questions you may have.

Back
Top Bottom