how do i convince my parents to let me get a duckling?

First, make sure ducks are allowed where you live.
Many places allow dogs and cats but forbid ducks and chickens along with large farm animals.

If a duck would be illegal where you live, then I'm sure your parents will not give in.

But if ducks are allowed, you should think about why your parents are saying "no."

If they think you are not responsible, think about whether they might be right. Especially think about what things they tell you to do each day, and what things they need to remind you over and over to do, then start remembering to do those things yourself. If you show responsibility in other areas of your life, they will more easily believe that you can be responsible about caring for a duck.

For an example, if I had a teenager that needed reminding about homework, and reminding to feed the cat, and reminding to go to bed at night, and I had to wake them up in the morning, and then they dawdled and missed the school bus so I had to drive them to school, and they complained about mowing the lawn: I would certainly not let them get any other pets! But if I had a teenager who was managing those kinds of things well, I would be more willing to consider new pets. (I don't know what you do, so I deliberately made this example a bit overdone.)

You can learn about what ducks need (read books, or learn on the internet.) It is important to know what an animal needs before you get the animal. Even if they do not let you get a duck, if you learn what ducks need, you will be ready to get ducks when you are grown up and making your own decisions. Learn what kind of housing ducks need (how big, how much shelter from the weather, how to keep out predators, how to keep it dry, how much ventilation they need). Learn about what to feed them, how much to feed them, and where to get the food. Learn about what bedding works well, and what bedding is available. Learn about how much water they need and what kind of containers it should be in (ducks need to drink and wash their faces frequently, but swimming needs a much bigger water container.) If you live in an area with cold winters, learn about how to keep their water thawed, or how often you will have to carry fresh water to them.

Think about who will take care of the ducks: probably you most of the time, but consider family vacations, trips to camp, when you get sick, and things like that.

Also think about how long ducks are likely to live.
If you go away to college, or move to a place where you cannot keep ducks, your parents may not want to take care of the ducks. So they might give the ducks away, or butcher the ducks and eat them-- plan ahead, so there are no unpleasant surprises!

I don't know your parents, so I'm making guesses based on the parents and teenagers I have known (including my own parents.)
As above. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ this is great advice.

I agree 💯 with the above advice. Having poultry is a huge investment of time, space, attention, and $. Are you willing to forego normal teen functions and activities, summer fun so your ducks are well cared for by you? Are you willing to pay for their food and care, not to mention if it needs vet care? Pretty sure your parents have already thought about these issues, and don't want to end up responsible for them. Just sayin'. Maybe visit someone who has ducks, or duck sit for someone to see what they're like to care for 24/7, and what's entailed. Visiting Hawaii is not the same as living there.

First, make sure ducks are allowed where you live.
Many places allow dogs and cats but forbid ducks and chickens along with large farm animals.

If a duck would be illegal where you live, then I'm sure your parents will not give in.

But if ducks are allowed, you should think about why your parents are saying "no."

If they think you are not responsible, think about whether they might be right. Especially think about what things they tell you to do each day, and what things they need to remind you over and over to do, then start remembering to do those things yourself. If you show responsibility in other areas of your life, they will more easily believe that you can be responsible about caring for a duck.

For an example, if I had a teenager that needed reminding about homework, and reminding to feed the cat, and reminding to go to bed at night, and I had to wake them up in the morning, and then they dawdled and missed the school bus so I had to drive them to school, and they complained about mowing the lawn: I would certainly not let them get any other pets! But if I had a teenager who was managing those kinds of things well, I would be more willing to consider new pets. (I don't know what you do, so I deliberately made this example a bit overdone.)

You can learn about what ducks need (read books, or learn on the internet.) It is important to know what an animal needs before you get the animal. Even if they do not let you get a duck, if you learn what ducks need, you will be ready to get ducks when you are grown up and making your own decisions. Learn what kind of housing ducks need (how big, how much shelter from the weather, how to keep out predators, how to keep it dry, how much ventilation they need). Learn about what to feed them, how much to feed them, and where to get the food. Learn about what bedding works well, and what bedding is available. Learn about how much water they need and what kind of containers it should be in (ducks need to drink and wash their faces frequently, but swimming needs a much bigger water container.) If you live in an area with cold winters, learn about how to keep their water thawed, or how often you will have to carry fresh water to them.

Think about who will take care of the ducks: probably you most of the time, but consider family vacations, trips to camp, when you get sick, and things like that.

Also think about how long ducks are likely to live.
If you go away to college, or move to a place where you cannot keep ducks, your parents may not want to take care of the ducks. So they might give the ducks away, or butcher the ducks and eat them-- plan ahead, so there are no unpleasant surprises!

I don't know your parents, so I'm making guesses based on the parents and teenagers I have known (including my own parents.)
are you my mom- because you just said some very detailed things abt what i forget to do-

are you my mom- because you just said some very detailed things abt what i forget to do-
I'm not your mom, but I was guessing about the things that teenagers sometimes do forget.

In that case, you could try to be more responsible about the things you already need to do, and over time that might help change your parents' minds.

Thanks, @TheClucklyClucker2 but my dad doesn't really like ducks or chickens, last summer I tried to convince them to let me get chickens but he said no, same with my mom. My parents don't really like farm animals. And say they are to much work. I will try to get them to start liking them so maybe they'll say yes. maybe i'll make eggs for them in the morning and be like "we could have fresh eggs every morning if we got ducks!" or som like that, i don't really care for eggs i just love ducks!

Back
Top Bottom