How do I deep clean my coop?

So now I should spray coop weekly and birds nightly?
When doing the coop, do I need to replace all of the bedding again?

There were mites everywhere. If I had taken 2 seconds to look, I would have been able to catch it sooner... I feel awful that I didn’t even think to check.
You don't see what you don't look for - this experience will make you a better chicken keeper, and by sharing your experience, maybe someone else who doesn't look for gets inspired to do so - and catches a problem before its grown insurmountable.

Sorry you had to face this, and sorry your birds had to suffer it.

Reminder, if you have cats, keep them away from anything permethrin treated, and make sure nothing permethrin treated ends up in a waterway with fish and other aquatics.

You don't see what you don't look for - this experience will make you a better chicken keeper, and by sharing your experience, maybe someone else who doesn't look for gets inspired to do so - and catches a problem before its grown insurmountable.

Sorry you had to face this, and sorry your birds had to suffer it.
They’re acting fine, but I’m sure that this has not been at all fun for them.
Reminder, if you have cats, keep them away from anything permethrin treated, and make sure nothing permethrin treated ends up in a waterway with fish and other aquatics.
👍
I was commenting yesterday, on another thread, that humans, when we learn at all, generally learn from making our own mistakes. We seem bad at learning from the mistakes of others, I know not why.
I saw that (I’m lurking on that thread but don’t want to get involved in the inevitable train wreck). Some wise words that I’ll do well to remember. I’m glad that I have plenty of time to learn from my elders before I have the opportunity to sink myself in a giant puddle of trouble.

So now I should spray coop weekly and birds nightly?
When doing the coop, do I need to replace all of the bedding again?
Both weekly, best to change out bedding.
Might keep bedding minimal until mites are all dead.
Make sure to super soak all the cracks and crevices where mites might hide.

That's good!...... but keep checking.
Of course!!
I was not able to treat birds last night because I got back very late from a babysitting job and didn't have time to change the dilution to make it bird safe. We probably should have gotten two spray bottles, one for birds and one for coop. Maybe we can stop at CVS today.

Back
Top Bottom