How do I fill a great big dirt square in my run?

TwinChickens

Chirping
Feb 10, 2018
Western Australia
Hiya, Aussie chicken keeper here, I was looking for advice on filling in a big ugly dirt patch in my run with some lovely plants. My run has three sections, they all have dirt and sand substrate, but only one section has plants. I would like to fill another of the sections with some more plants to give my chickens both vertical space and hopefully some form of fruit to supplement their diet. I have a native garden so I want native Australian plants if possible, any recommendations for plants that are safe around chickens? We have some lilly-pillies in already which we had hoped would grow and produce berries, however my girls have destroyed their leaves, despite our attempts to protect them with a few logs piled around them. Any advice on how to stop small plants from being dug up and eaten before they can grow out of the chickens reach? Thanks :)

PS also any tips on building roosts? We have installed a "swing" using some old branches and chains but only one of our girls uses it, is the movement a problem? Could it be too high? Any advice is appreciated :)

Any advice on how to stop small plants from being dug up and eaten before they can grow out of the chickens reach? Thanks :)

PS also any tips on building roosts? We have installed a "swing" using some old branches and chains but only one of our girls uses it, is the movement a problem? Could it be too high? Any advice is appreciated :)

If you want to go real simple, you can put in your plants, then surround them with chicken wire to give them a fighting chance of growing up. Some pavers over the roots will help prevent the chickens from tearing them up too badly. IF you can get the plants to where they're pretty well established, they might survive in that environment, but chickens tend to be very hard to vegetation, so good luck with that.

A lot of chickens don't really like swings, so stationary roosts would be better. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just need some sort of secure support to hold up the bars.

Back
Top Bottom