How do I find quality breeders in my area? (SW PA)

hyzenthlay

Songster
12 Years
Feb 26, 2009
SW PA
Other than posting here for birds wanted (which I tried, no results), how do I find quality breeders in my area? If you're going to say I should go to a poultry show, my next question would be--how do I find out when/where there are going to be poultry shows!?
tongue.png
Are there ever any around this time of year, or do I have to wait until late summer/fall when the county fairs are going on? I'm just looking for a few nice quality laying hens, and I don't want to wait until August/September to find a breeder!

I posted on Craigslist (and I keep getting flagged because apparently livestock wanted ads aren't allowed, hmph), and on another internet group I belong to where many people have chickens, but no luck.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Check your state and local agricultural offices--most state Ag departments put out some sort of bulletin listing all kinds of livestock, including poultry & ag supplies for sale. Ours here comes out every 2 weeks. In fact, ours is accessible online.

Feed stores may know of somebody w/laying hens for sale, or let you post a want ad.

Your local 4-H or FFA clubs will know dates of shows.

I could take the easy way out and tell you to buy a subscription to the Poultry Press. It will list all the major shows and also has a breeders listing.

But I will try and help you out, the southeast ohio poultry show in Marietta, OH is on March 29. If you can get there there will be a lot of birds for sale and you can make friends with the breeders/exhibitors.

On April 2,3 and 4th is the Mount Hope, OH exotic animal and bird auction. Plenty to see and buy. Yeah, it's a bit of a drive but well worth it.

Then on Aptil 11 and 12th, in Lucasville, OH is the poultry swap meet. Bring your cages and fill them up!

Thanks so much, guys. I couldn't find a bulletin for us online, but that's a good idea, to call the 4-H or maybe our county extension office could help me, too.

Seymojo, I'd never heard of Poultry Press (I'm a total newb), so that's actually helpful. I don't know if I want a whole year's subscription right off the bat, but I can check in Tractor Supply next time I'm there and see if they have the latest issue. Thanks for the dates, too! I'm bummed about the 3/29 one--I'd loooove to go to that, but I'm going to be out of town. Lucasville is far from me, but Mt. Hope isn't too bad (about 2.5 hours), so maybe I'll try to hit that one. Do you know if they do chicks or started pullets at these auctions, or only grown birds? And can you buy one at a time, or do you have to buy lots?

Thanks!!

Too bad about the Marietta show, that would have been the place to pick up chicks and singles.

The Mount Hope auction is a little of everything. They have a website:
http://www.mthopeauction.com

The poultry sells at 9:00 am on the 3rd. But there are deals being done all day. If you don't see what you want, ask. Chances are they know who you should talk to. It's a great place to see animals/birds you wouldn't think of.
Also they do sell equipment if you're in the need. Can get some good deals on cages feeders nests etc.

Sometimes it hard to find the local auctions, some of them aren't into advertising(read that as: the internet) and you have to stumble across them. Do check at your local feed store/mill. They should be able to help you.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Thanks again! Man, if only I could go to that Marietta show. Shoot.
hmm.png
But I'll try to make it to Mt. Hope, instead. And I definitely will ask around here, too (4-H etc. and the feed store--I'll have to find someplace to ask other than TSC, they seem to be clueless whenever I ask about substantive things--I guess they don't hire the kids for their agricultural knowledge, lol).

Hi - i am SW PA too. I have been looking on Craiglists and when I looked up Delaware craiglist and Maryland crasilists, I found a lot more chickens for free or sale.
I actually just bought 4 RIRs from Elkton, MD (found through craigslist).
moyer'[s hatchery is in quakertown - you can google them and check out the website.

You can buy chicks (mail order) or 17 wk pullets (pick up)

Thanks, Mamaof10--you're actually in SE PA, right? Delaware's a long drive from here (Pittsburgh)! I did check Maryland craigslist, though, since my parents live down there and I could pick the chicks up on a visit. I actually went ahead and ordered my chicks for this year from Meyer Hatchery, and I'm going to drive out on Monday and pick them up (5 hour round trip, but it'll be fun, so whatever). And now that I placed my order, and it's too late to cancel, I've been seeing LOTS of great chick ads in my local Craigslist. Oh well, live and learn--I was impatient and just wanted to be sure I'd get chicks this spring.

But what I was really asking was how to find good qualitybreeders in my area, and people breeding interesting/rarer breeds and colors--not just people who have extras from the hatchery, or are breeding from hatchery stock, which is what most of it seems to be around here. In the future, I'd rather try to buy from breeders, but I wasn't sure how to find them. I really think there should be a sticky on BYC, either listing BYC members who breed chickens by breed (i.e. all Wyandotte breeders list your info here, etc.), or listing breeders by state/region. I know it would be helpful for me!!

Last edited:
There is a flea market in Rogers, OH (57 miles from Pittsburgh) every friday. They have a poultry auction that starts at 6, but you should get there at 4 or 5 to get registered and look at what you want to buy. They have A LOT of fertilized eggs and chickens etc, so it might be hours before your bird(s) come up for auction. I thought it was very fun though.

There is a guy who lives in Plum (about 20 miles east of Pittsburgh) who has a huge bird farm and he might be willing to sell you some. His name is Jim Burton and his number is 412-969-9138. I got our 5 layers from him and they are great. I get 3 eggs/day on average.

Back
Top Bottom