How Do I Finish The Roof?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Uncle Marc, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Uncle Marc

Uncle Marc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Poplar Grove Kentucky
    I have been struggling with this in the planning stages.

I will be using a "shed" type roof, one that is taller in front and slopes to the rear. I am using metal roofing. I can't figure out how to seal off the front, or high point, on the front side of the roof.

The metal roofing has ridges and I figure rain etc. can get in under those high points on the metal.

How do I enclose that?

Any ideas?

2. chickenpredatorkiller

chickenpredatorkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    South Carolina
    a picture or 2 would help.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

There is a "cap" that normally is put on that edge to seal it off and prevent the water from entering.

4. BusyBlonde

BusyBlonde Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    You can also do an overhang of 6"-1' - it will help prevent rain from going into the coop, and will give some ventilation if you're not insulating the roof.

5. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Another thing you might try is to trace the metal roofing form onto a 1 X 6 board, cut it out, and close off the roof edge with that and a layer of the thin roll of foam that goes between sub-floor and bottom plate (can't remember it's name).

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) Gardening zone 5a - 4b in south-est, central-est Wisconsin

6. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    i left the gap in mine so it could breathe... just leave some over hang

7. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Quote:x2 I also placed welded wire between the gap on the inside, even though it was only 3.5" gap..to keep critters out and birds in when I lock them up for the night.

8. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    The home depot sells the foam that you put between the roofing and the wood. It's next to the corrugated roofing supplies.

9. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    This is the reason I dislike shed roofs. They are easy to put up with a lack of carpentry skills but such a pain otherwise.

10. sulco

sulco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2011
    Up in da UP, eh!
    I capped mine (about 8" gap) with plywood on the inside of the run to cut down on the drafts. My rafters face west and the wind predominately comes from that direction; it was creating a swirling effect something fierce in my run. It also helps keep the unwanted, although I'm not sure how they would get up there I don't feel the need to test them!

ED: Lack of coffee.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by