How do I fix water problem?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Nugget, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Nugget

Nugget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2007
    I have a big metal waterer hanging about 8 inches above the floor. In a day or 2 I have to empty, WASH and refill it. Scunge gets into the trough of it, and I guess anaerobes are reproducing in the reservoir making it stink like sulfur. When I wash it, there's a slime over the inside. I would really like not to have to wash the thing almost daily. What can I do to have the water clean for longer than 24-48 hours??

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    You could try to do a bleach sanitizing and then throughly rinse. Other than that they should be given only enough water for a couple days max.

3. Nugget

Sep 2, 2007
    oh... I guess I was fooling myself thinking that the water could last them the better part of a week... I don't have a lot of birds, but they mess it up in no time.

The guy I bought the chicks from has these tiny red plastic basins that have pipes running to them from a barrel. does anyone have any ideas for something a bit more self-sustaining?

4. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Are you adding vitamins to the water? Ours get slimey fast when using vitamins.
    McMurreys has those water cups your talking about.

5. VaM715

VaM715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Fincastle, VA
    I put about a teaspoon of bleach to 5 gallons during hot weather. I read an article from Oklahoma Ag Dept about it. They said it doesn;t urt a thing. I did it all last year and the water stayed nice all the time. I"m putting in automatic water bowls this summer, if the time permits!!!

6. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

If the waterer is in direct sunlight it will green up over night. Keep it out of the sun and it will stay relatively clean.

7. Nugget

Sep 2, 2007
    It's not in sunlight, the problem seems to be that wood chips and poop gets in the 'trough' part, make poop-woodchip-soup, then the water in the reservoir becomes foul. I recently raised it higher from the floor which helped some, but it's still a problem.

It almost needs something like a low squirrel baffel, high enough for chickens to stick in their heads, but low enough to act like an umbrella for debris.

VAM, are you saying you have bleach in the water they drink, or that you wash it with bleach?

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Raise it up high enough that they have to reach for the water to drink. It should be at least at back height.

9. Jillylam

Jillylam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2007
    Kingwood, NJ
    I use Oxine in the waterers and to spray the coop every few weeks. It won't help with keeping out poop and chips but it's great for keeping out the green growth.

10. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    try a hanging feeder cover to keep them off the water they're about $4

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by