How do I free range???????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mystery Peepers, May 13, 2009.

1. Mystery Peepers

Mystery Peepers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    I know that some people on this board put their chickens up at night, then let them free range part of the day. How do you gather them all back up and get them in their coop and run, without spending hours chasing them?????

-M.P.

2. wyo-helpmeet

wyo-helpmeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    West TN
    I want to know as well, so I'm just subbing.

3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    As long as they've been in their coop a week or so and know it's home they'll go in when it gets dark and put themselves to bed.

ETA: I only let mine out in the afternoons when I know I'll be here until dark.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

They go back into the coop in the evening by themselves.

Imp

5. wyo-helpmeet

wyo-helpmeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    West TN
    So after they're ready from the brooder, you keep them locked in the coop for a week?

6. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Yep-- You might have to grab a couple that get confused at first, but they'll go in okay.

7. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I open the door at 8am they go out, about 1/2 hour before the sun sets they put themselves in the coop, and I go out and shut it. I dont know how they know when the sunsets, none of my chickens even own a watch or know how to read a calender, yet they always seem to make it in before it gets dark [​IMG]

If letting them out for the first time I would suggest letting them out hour or so before sunset, so they dont have a chance to wonder too far. then increase the amount of time they are out till they are out as long as you plan to let them out. I know some wont let thiers out till Noon, or till when they get home from work, then they get to freerange the rest of the day. [​IMG]

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:They can't wear wristwatches (skinny wrists), but give them a pocket watch on a fob, and they'll put you on a schedule. [​IMG]

Imp-Chicken Slave

9. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    Mine all return to the coop by 7:30 pm sharp. It's so cute watching them march back up their ramp like a little parade at the same time every night. [​IMG]

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That's how it is around here. I let them out when I get up in the morning. The hens go back to the coop when they have an egg to lay and then they all trek back to the coop to put themselves to bed at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by