How do I free range???????

Mystery Peepers

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
I know that some people on this board put their chickens up at night, then let them free range part of the day. How do you gather them all back up and get them in their coop and run, without spending hours chasing them?????

-M.P.

As long as they've been in their coop a week or so and know it's home they'll go in when it gets dark and put themselves to bed.

ETA: I only let mine out in the afternoons when I know I'll be here until dark.

Last edited:
I open the door at 8am they go out, about 1/2 hour before the sun sets they put themselves in the coop, and I go out and shut it. I dont know how they know when the sunsets, none of my chickens even own a watch or know how to read a calender, yet they always seem to make it in before it gets dark
idunno.gif

If letting them out for the first time I would suggest letting them out hour or so before sunset, so they dont have a chance to wonder too far. then increase the amount of time they are out till they are out as long as you plan to let them out. I know some wont let thiers out till Noon, or till when they get home from work, then they get to freerange the rest of the day.
old.gif

Quote:
They can't wear wristwatches (skinny wrists), but give them a pocket watch on a fob, and they'll put you on a schedule.
roll.png

Imp-Chicken Slave

Mine all return to the coop by 7:30 pm sharp. It's so cute watching them march back up their ramp like a little parade at the same time every night.
smile.png

Quote:
That's how it is around here. I let them out when I get up in the morning. The hens go back to the coop when they have an egg to lay and then they all trek back to the coop to put themselves to bed at night.

Back
Top Bottom