How do I get a broody hen to accept chicks that are not hers?

So if a chick is, say a week old, she would know it is not hers, even if she had only been sitting on eggs?

Silkies have a reputation for being very maternal, so she may adopt it, or she might not. At one week old, the chick may or may not bond to the hen. You could try it, but I'd definitely have a Plan B in place, wether it be returning the chick or raising it yourself.

If it were me, I'd place a chick order, give the hen x number of chicks, and then sell the rest of the chicks on Craigslist or give them to a friend or raise them myself.

I had a broody last year who only hatched one egg. The next day I bought some 2-3 days old chicks from the feed store, and brought them home. Over a half hour, I placed each one of six under her, and I stayed with them for awhile to watch how she treated them. They did fine, and she raised them with her little chick. Every case will be different. I would not add older chicks that a few days old, and there is never a guarantee that the broody will accept them. You always have to be prepared to raise them in a brooder if she rejects them.

How do I know if she has rejected it? Will she just walk away and ignore it?

Silkies have a reputation for being very maternal, so she may adopt it, or she might not. At one week old, the chick may or may not bond to the hen. You could try it, but I'd definitely have a Plan B in place, wether it be returning the chick or raising it yourself.

If it were me, I'd place a chick order, give the hen x number of chicks, and then sell the rest of the chicks on Craigslist or give them to a friend or raise them myself.

I had not thought of that. This is not as easy and I thought it would be when I signed up for this chicken thing!!

I had not thought of that.  This is not as easy and I thought it would be when I signed up for this chicken thing!!

Haha, yes, chickens are often said to be the easiest animal for someone wanting to start a hobby farm, or wanting to be self sufficient, etc. They may be one of the easy-est, but they certainly aren't easy! Who knew keeping chickens could be so complicated, LOL.

It worked! :0) I imagine th

e cold weather helped.

Congratulations!!! :)

S/He looks comfy, LOL.

Yes, it's definitely unusually chilly here! Not complaining though, I far prefer this over the 100+ degrees it was a couple weeks ago!

True, but if it were warmer I would not be so worried the chick will get out from under the foster mama. I keep running out into the rain to check on them. :0) Tomorrow should be better...

Back
Top Bottom