How do I get Bantam chickens to go broody, and how to tell early on if eggs are viable?

birdlover2

Crowing
Jan 28, 2019
Ohio
My mother's bantams are now laying eggs, at least 2 or three of them are lol, and we're wondering a few things. First of all, can you tell if eggs that have not been set on are viable by candling? She would like to keep the ones in the coop that are viable, and eat the others, but I don't know if you'll see anything at all by candling at that point. Will we see a tiny dot? Also, what is the correct way to candle a bantam egg? Second, we would like to get our hens to go broody, but don't know how. We think we might try the plastic egg trick. Does this work?

@NatJ @pozees2 @Chickenhappy8708 @casportpony @Rhodebar Lover

Do you have a rooster?
Eggs can be broken into a bowl and examined for a white bullseye.
Eggs incubated for a couple days can be candled.
You can't "make" a hen go broody, but bantams are usually perfectly capable on their own. You can use fake eggs to encourage them.

Do you have a rooster?
Eggs can be broken into a bowl and examined for a white bullseye.
Eggs incubated for a couple days can be candled.
You can't "make" a hen go broody, but bantams are usually perfectly capable on their own. You can use fake eggs to encourage them.
Yes, we have 3 lol.

But don't you have to destroy eggs for that? Is that just to check for general viability? How do you know that because u broke one egg and it was viable all the others are?

I know that, but not before right? We don't have an incubator and I would be scared to try one...seeing as first time out I might kill all the eggs. That's why we thought a broody hen would be the best route, among other reasons like easier introduction of chicks to the flock.

OK, what kind of fake eggs are the best? Will easter eggs work? What about rocks lol? Are there eggs specifically created for that purpose?

Also, should we make a nesting box/specific area in the coop for the hen to lay on eggs? Should the hen be seperated from the rest of the chickens while she's laying on the eggs, does it matter? I know it's way early in the process but I want to put the fake eggs or real ones that are viable in the right place the first time.

Yes, we have 3 lol.

But don't you have to destroy eggs for that? Is that just to check for general viability? How do you know that because u broke one egg and it was viable all the others are?

I know that, but not before right? We don't have an incubator and I would be scared to try one...seeing as first time out I might kill all the eggs. That's why we thought a broody hen would be the best route, among other reasons like easier introduction of chicks to the flock.

OK, what kind of fake eggs are the best? Will easter eggs work? What about rocks lol? Are there eggs specifically created for that purpose?

Also, should we make a nesting box/specific area in the coop for the hen to lay on eggs? Should the hen be seperated from the rest of the chickens while she's laying on the eggs, does it matter? I know it's way early in the process but I want to put the fake eggs or real ones that are viable in the right place the first time.
Generally, if a couple eggs are fertile, most of them are.
Eggs need to be fairly developed for candling, otherwise all you'll see is the yolk. Fascinating view. It's a good idea to candle for cracks and other abnormalities before setting, though.
When my hen was setting I used rocks, easter eggs filled with sand, and golf balls. Anything egg-y should work.
Hens should always have nesting boxes to lay in. This is where you put the fake eggs to tempt a broody.
It's best to separate the broody hen, particularly to protect the chicks, though it's not vital.

Generally, if a couple eggs are fertile, most of them are.
Eggs need to be fairly developed for candling, otherwise all you'll see is the yolk. Fascinating view. It's a good idea to candle for cracks and other abnormalities before setting, though.
When my hen was setting I used rocks, easter eggs filled with sand, and golf balls. Anything egg-y should work.
Hens should always have nesting boxes to lay in. This is where you put the fake eggs to tempt a broody.
It's best to separate the broody hen, particularly to protect the chicks, though it's not vital.
Got it :) We'll be sure to candle then even if we can't use it to see which are viable. And we'll be sure to crack a few. What does this bullseye look like? Can u send a pic?

We'll probably pick a few easter eggs up at the store then...or are golf balls better in your opinion?

So how do u make nest boxes in a coop? And are they vital? Like if the hens make their own nests out of pine shavings? What exactly are nest boxes used for? I probably sound dumb asking these questions lol

How likely are other flock members to attack the chicks? Are there other dangers to be aware of with not seperating the hen? How do you usually do it/what is the best way to seperate temporarily and then when would you put the hen back in with chicks?

My mother's bantams are now laying eggs, at least 2 or three of them are lol, and we're wondering a few things. First of all, can you tell if eggs that have not been set on are viable by candling?

Yes, we have 3 [roosters].

If the hens are with roosters, the eggs are probably fertile.

If you want to be sure, crack open a few eggs and look to see. If you crack open 1 to 2 eggs from each hen and they are fertile, then it's a safe guess that all other eggs from that hen are also fertile. Then cook those particular eggs and enjoy eating them.

Or, if a hen goes broody, just put eggs under her and candle them a week or so later to see if they have chicks growing inside.

She would like to keep the ones in the coop that are viable, and eat the others

They are probably ALL fertile.

but I don't know if you'll see anything at all by candling at that point.

You are correct. Candling will not tell you if the egg is fertile until after the egg has been incubated for a while and the chick has grown a fair bit.

Second, we would like to get our hens to go broody, but don't know how. We think we might try the plastic egg trick. Does this work?

Have nice inviting nestboxes, with a few fake eggs in each one.
Be patient.

Meanwhile, collect the real eggs every day.
Use a pencil to write the date on them.
Store the eggs in the house, but not in the refrigerator.

If any egg reaches one week old, cook it and eat it. (Or put it in the refrigerator until you do want to cook an egg.)
This is because the eggs hatch better if they are not stored for longer than a week before the hen starts sitting on them.

When a hen does go broody (on the nest all night and most of the day, for 2-3 days), then put the eggs you have collected under her, and mark your calendar: chicks due in three weeks!

There are eggs created for that purpose. Some are made of ceramic, some of wood, some of plastic. You can also use plastic Easter Eggs, golf balls, some rocks--it just needs to be about the size of an egg, and sort-of round. No poky or sharp edges to hurt the hen.

Also, should we make a nesting box/specific area in the coop for the hen to lay on eggs? Should the hen be seperated from the rest of the chickens while she's laying on the eggs, does it matter?

Yes, make a safe space for the hen to sit on the eggs. You do not want anyone to step on her!

Yes, it is best if she is separated from the rest of the chickens. Seeing them and hearing them is fine, but you do not want the other chickens to push her off the nest! (Yes, sometimes they will.)

Some people make a new pen next to the main chicken pen. Some make one inside the main chicken pen.

If you have a large dog crate or rabbit cage, you could put that inside the chicken pen, with the nest inside it.

For the actual nest, a wooden box or even a cardboard box can work. Just turn it on its side, and have a short edge along the opening (3-4 inches high) to keep the eggs and bedding in.

She will need nesting material--hay or straw or wood shavings or something like that.
It helps keep the eggs warm, and also helps the hen be comfortable sitting there on them.

You say there are three bantam hens. So you might want to set up two or three nests--that way if they all decide to go broody, they don't have to fight over space.

What exactly are nest boxes used for?
Nest boxes are nice for the hen: a cozy, safe place to lay her eggs and maybe sit on them.

Nest boxes are nice for the person: an easy place to find the eggs, and no-one steps on the eggs by mistake.

If the hens are with roosters, the eggs are probably fertile.

If you want to be sure, crack open a few eggs and look to see. If you crack open 1 to 2 eggs from each hen and they are fertile, then it's a safe guess that all other eggs from that hen are also fertile. Then cook those particular eggs and enjoy eating them.

Or, if a hen goes broody, just put eggs under her and candle them a week or so later to see if they have chicks growing inside.

They are probably ALL fertile.

You are correct. Candling will not tell you if the egg is fertile until after the egg has been incubated for a while and the chick has grown a fair bit.

Have nice inviting nestboxes, with a few fake eggs in each one.
Be patient.

Meanwhile, collect the real eggs every day.
Use a pencil to write the date on them.
Store the eggs in the house, but not in the refrigerator.

If any egg reaches one week old, cook it and eat it. (Or put it in the refrigerator until you do want to cook an egg.)
This is because the eggs hatch better if they are not stored for longer than a week before the hen starts sitting on them.

When a hen does go broody (on the nest all night and most of the day, for 2-3 days), then put the eggs you have collected under her, and mark your calendar: chicks due in three weeks!

There are eggs created for that purpose. Some are made of ceramic, some of wood, some of plastic. You can also use plastic Easter Eggs, golf balls, some rocks--it just needs to be about the size of an egg, and sort-of round. No poky or sharp edges to hurt the hen.

Yes, make a safe space for the hen to sit on the eggs. You do not want anyone to step on her!

Yes, it is best if she is separated from the rest of the chickens. Seeing them and hearing them is fine, but you do not want the other chickens to push her off the nest! (Yes, sometimes they will.)

Some people make a new pen next to the main chicken pen. Some make one inside the main chicken pen.

If you have a large dog crate or rabbit cage, you could put that inside the chicken pen, with the nest inside it.

For the actual nest, a wooden box or even a cardboard box can work. Just turn it on its side, and have a short edge along the opening (3-4 inches high) to keep the eggs and bedding in.

She will need nesting material--hay or straw or wood shavings or something like that.
It helps keep the eggs warm, and also helps the hen be comfortable sitting there on them.

You say there are three bantam hens. So you might want to set up two or three nests--that way if they all decide to go broody, they don't have to fight over space.

Nest boxes are nice for the hen: a cozy, safe place to lay her eggs and maybe sit on them.

Nest boxes are nice for the person: an easy place to find the eggs, and no-one steps on the eggs by mistake.
Got it, thanks for all your imput :) There are 6 hens btw, and there isn't enough space for 6 nest boxes lol.

Got it :) We'll be sure to candle then even if we can't use it to see which are viable. And we'll be sure to crack a few. What does this bullseye look like? Can u send a pic?

We'll probably pick a few easter eggs up at the store then...or are golf balls better in your opinion?

So how do u make nest boxes in a coop? And are they vital? Like if the hens make their own nests out of pine shavings? What exactly are nest boxes used for? I probably sound dumb asking these questions lol

How likely are other flock members to attack the chicks? Are there other dangers to be aware of with not seperating the hen? How do you usually do it/what is the best way to seperate temporarily and then when would you put the hen back in with chicks?
The bullseye is a small dot in the on the surface of the yolks. Post a pic, as it's easy to get it confused with the white cords that center the yolk. I'll send a pic in a bit.
Either golf balls or eggs work. It does sometimes depends on the chicken. My sister's hen, (the one setting,) tended to believe the easter eggs more. Golf balls are easier, as the Easter Eggs should be filled with sand.
Nesting boxes are easy. You can use a milk crate if you have one, otherwise make a wooden box a bit larger than the chicken. Just fill it with bedding and place where the hen likes to sit. They are used for comfort and security when laying and hatching eggs.
How much danger the chicks are in depends completely on how accepting your other chickens are. Some of the biggest problems are other chickens laying new eggs in the nest, and the hen switching nesting boxes. I only had the one hen when she was setting, but a good option is putting the box in a large dog crate. There are other threads on how to integrate chicks with adults.

Got it, thanks for all your imput :) There are 6 hens btw, and there isn't enough space for 6 nest boxes lol.

No, you probably do not need 6 nestboxes :)
Not unless you have 6 broody hens all at once...
You need one nestbox per broody hen, and at least one nestbox for the others to lay eggs in. So minimum 2 nestboxes for your 6, if you are hoping for at least one broody.

A nestbox is usually about 12 inches (one foot) in each direction (long, high, wide.)

Back
Top Bottom