How Do I Get Chickens to Breed True?

Paint is heterozygous dominant white on a solid black base(Extended Black) the Erminette breed is based entirely on this color and you can't show neither black or white "sports"
............that has a lot of fancy genetic words but I take your word that it makes sense.

Similar in appearance, but otherwise not. Splash is made when a bird has two copies of the blue gene. Paint is made by a cross between a solid black bird and a dominant white bird.
While this is technically correct, the pattern is boosted if you keep breeding the birds with the most black spots, for example I made a few White Leghorn Crosses and of 50 or so chicks I have hatched only about two have been truly Paint, the rest had one or two specs of black. a good example is California Whites(the cross of White Leghorns with California Gray) you see some black spots on the chick down but the birds do not fully develop the paint color, research has confirm that if you keep breeding back to black the birds start getting darker and darker

While this is technically correct, the pattern is boosted if you keep breeding the birds with the most black spots, for example I made a few White Leghorn Crosses and of 50 or so chicks I have hatched only about two have been truly Paint, the rest had one or two specs of black. a good example is California Whites(the cross of White Leghorns with California Gray) you see some black spots on the chick down but the birds do not fully develop the paint color, research has confirm that if you keep breeding back to black the birds start getting darker and darker
I had no idea! Thanks for the info!

I had no idea! Thanks for the info!
This is an old research paper:

Studies on Dominance and Pleiotropy Using Segregating Inbred Lines of Fowl
https://www.genetics.org/content/genetics/48/9/1141.full.pdf

Tlrd: Dedicated All White lines based on dominant white(for example white leghorns) do not relay only on the effect of dominant white to create a solid impeccable white, they have other enhancers and diluters that make them all white so don't be surprised if the F1 of a White Leghorn is not Paint.

Back
Top Bottom