How do I get my chickens to eat egg shells?

crush them up realy fine and sprinkle inti their regular feed. its so small they never know its egg shell. you can use a hammer , just put the shells in a bag and smash away!

I feed egg shells and have no problems with egg-eating. I just leave it in a container available free choice. They take it when they need it. If yours aren't eating it, don't worry - they will when their body tells them they need the extra calcium.

Mine love them. No egg eaters here, either. When we have collected an ice cube bin full of them, we put them on a cookie sheet and bake at about 200 degrees for 30 minutes. Then they crush up easily and we put them in a rabbit feeder and they eat them very quickly. They are no good for grit, though, not hard enough.

If just started saving mine too. I baked them like the above poster then put them in a food blender (generic bullet type) and pulverized them. I will put them in with their regular food or put them in their own feeder.
Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

My chickens don't like egg shells. How do I get them to eat the egg shells? Could egg shells be used as grit? Thanks.​

I just save mine, let them dry out, crush them good and put them back in the feed. My chickens LOVE them and I don't have egg eating either. Some folks on SS forum put them in their Vitamix and pulse them into a powder and add it to the feed.

I collect used eggshells and when I have a full big bowl of them (every 2 or so weeks) I take them out to my coop, dump the bowl, step on all the shells so they are all broken apart and don't look like an egg sitting there and my chickens love them! I do not have egg eating problems at all. I had a neighbor suggest I bake them to get the egg taste out, but I figure I don't have problems with it, so why change what I am doing?

I tryed letting the shells air - dry, but the sac inside the shell would crunch up! So should I just get the shells and put them on a cookie sheet and stick them into the toaster over and let the bake until the are crunch - able? Thanks,
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom