how do i get my chicks to go into roost at night?

arkwelded

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 1, 2014
Wisconsin
this is our first time raising chicks from our own eggs, our hens were about 8 weeks when we got them and seemed to know the whole roost idea very well.
we currently have 20 six week old chicks and have just moved them into a new 5' x 12' coop. it has a 4' x 5' roost with a ramp into it. the ramp has shingles for traction and is set at like a 2 in 12 pitch. i put the chicks into the roost the other night at sundown. they came out in the morning and loved the new run. that night they all hunkered down in a pile in the run under the ramp, so i put them into the roost. they did the same thing again tonight.
i am wondering if i need to do this a few more times until they get the concept. they are too small to be put with our flock, and i want to only keep 6 of the hens and possibly a roo anyway, the rest will be broilers and will stay in this until they are ready.
the chicks are very smart in every other way, and i know that every week is a huge difference in development.

so do i keep trying what i am doing or does anyone have any experience at this?

im new to chickens myself. but when i asked the same question, everyone suggested that they have plenty of roosting space, nesting space, and then continue to do what you are doing, put them inside. and it worked for me!

thanks, i guess i need to be patient. when we got our original birds they were already integrated into a roost and existing flock. i guess i just have to keep putting them in until they get it

they do have a ton of room as there is 15 feet of roost bar area.

Yes, keep putting them back where you want them at night until they get the hang of it. Some take longer than others, but they will get it.

*waving from one WI to another*

Last edited:
the biggest problem i have is they are all spoiled rotten, and have a tendency to "run" back out so they get picked up several times before bed. they are starting to get the hang of it, so we will keep this routine up.

Back
Top Bottom