How do I get my girls to take a break from laying?

ChickenMamaLissa

Chirping
Apr 26, 2020
I have two isas, an amber link, and a Colombian Wyandotte that I got a little over a year ago. The isas started laying at the end of last winter and the amber link wasn’t far behind. The three of them have laid every day since and while it’s great that we have so many fresh eggs, I know it’s hard on their little bodies to keep up such aggressive production. My amber link has even continued laying through her molt. We’ve changed them over to the non-layer feed for the fall/winter and were hoping that the shorter days would do the rest. I’m out of ideas. I wouldn’t have gotten these breeds had I known that they laid so much in the first few years, only to have complications later, but what’s done is done, and I just want them to have the best life possible, even if it means we don’t have fresh eggs for a few months. Does anyone have any suggestions to encourage them to take a chicken vacation?

You can't really stop them from laying eggs. I have a nearly 6 year old Australorp hen, that is still laying regularly (pretty much every day in summer, and every few days in winter). I really want her to stop, because she's so old. But there's nothing I can do.
If your girls are still laying throughout winter though, I would definitely keep feeding them the layer feed. They need the calcium to make the egg shells.

+1 on the layer feed. Isa brown and amberlinks are high production birds. If you want birds that have a more traditional lay rate you might try something more along a heritage type breed. That said, just let them do their thing. Give them a good, high protein layer feed (or oyster shell) and don't use any lighting in the coop.

Last year, my white leghorn and red sex links (aka ISAs), laid all through fall and winter. This year, they're all taking a break. There's nothing you can do about it, aside from not providing supplemental light in the winter and hoping that they stop.

Seconding on the layer feed:
If your girls are still laying throughout winter though, I would definitely keep feeding them the layer feed. They need the calcium to make the egg shells.
It's healthier for them to have the proper nutrients to support all of that egg laying.

In the Spring you can also “force” broodiness snd that will stop laying.
If there’s brooding to be done, my Wyandotte is always happy to step in. We call her “the dilophosaurus” because she flairs her neck feathers so viciously when you try to get her out of the nesting box. The three sex links have never been broody, but I might give it a shot by separating the Wyandotte and letting the rest have a chance at brooding. Thanks!

Sex-links like ISA Browns and Golden Comets lay through winters in my experience.
My first flock (Golden Comets) never had a hard molt, just soft molts and continued to lay.
My current ISA Browns are 18 months old and in a soft molt and still laying 4 to 5 eggs each weekly.

My first non-hybrid chickens (Barred Rocks), most did have have hard molts and stopped laying for a month on average in their second winter season.

My newest chickens are 6 months old RIR and Barred Rocks and are laying daily.

I would switch back to a Layers feed as Sex-links are prone to going egg bound. Layer feed doesn't encourage laying.
I add lights at 5 am year round, none in the evening. Currently sunset here is 4:30 pm so my chickens are getting 11.5 hours of light.
Enjoy the eggs.

My Pullets. I only have 3 Barred Rocks currently, lost one to a Bobcat.
20210905_100244_resized.jpg

ISA Browns in upper left corner in their own pen. I also lost one to a predator, 2 currently.
GC

Intesting perspective on laying eggs! :) I don't think I'd want my girls to stop laying if it were possible. I'm mising those eggs right now since the colder weather has set it. I'm not experienced, but I'd have to agree that they are going to lay whatever eggs they will lay, and it certainly can't hurt them since I believe the good Lord designed them for that purpose. I'm sure they'll stop when it's the right time...

Back
Top Bottom