How do i get my summer coop redy for the cold?

PruittFarm

Chirping
Mar 10, 2017
Burgaw N.C
My hubby and i just bilt this summer coop and our old one finely went to the dump! But now its getting cold and we did this one very open. We have put plastic clear curtains on two sides of the coop so far we were planning on adding at to the other two sides as well. I have young but fully feathered juveniles and was wondering what I need to do to keep them warm but this winter as well as their parents.

Attachments

• 20171019_171631-1.jpg
    20171019_171631-1.jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20171019_171656-1.jpg
    20171019_171656-1.jpg
    684.6 KB · Views: 14
Do you get snow where you are? Would wind drive rain or snow in the open areas? If not you might leave it open. Otherwise I think the plastic sheeting doesn't need to cover your vent space up top all the way. Even in winter they'll need ventilation.

I have an open front coop. We can attach birch panels to the front with window screen mounts. Keeps out the rain and wind and easy to take off when it warms up.
That's a big coop, how many chickens do you have?

I am getting mine ready too. Was thinking of using some plastic then lattice. I also was thinking of putting a submergable heater in their water and a flat panel for radiant heat. I guess I better stop thinking and start doing.

My hubby and i just bilt this summer coop and our old one finely went to the dump! But now its getting cold and we did this one very open. We have put plastic clear curtains on two sides of the coop so far we were planning on adding at to the other two sides as well. I have young but fully feathered juveniles and was wondering what I need to do to keep them warm but this winter as well as their parents.
Leave the top ~6" open all around for ventilation. Keep them dry and well ventilated and their feathers will keep them warm.

I am getting mine ready too. Was thinking of using some plastic then lattice. I also was thinking of putting a submergable heater in their water and a flat panel for radiant heat. I guess I better stop thinking and start doing.
All good...except the heater, you probably do not need it unless you experience -10F for days on end. If you do, a flat panel is a good choice.

Ok we have vent slots at toop of coop we never cover and i have about 21 birds

Do you get snow where you are? Would wind drive rain or snow in the open areas? If not you might leave it open. Otherwise I think the plastic sheeting doesn't need to cover your vent space up top all the way. Even in winter they'll need ventilation.

I have an open front coop. We can attach birch panels to the front with window screen mounts. Keeps out the rain and wind and easy to take off when it warms up.
That's a big coop, how many chickens do you have?

Yes lol its almost here i dont offten get snow but water likes to frezz here
I was thinking id put there water in a small dog house and cover it in hay to keep warmer with out using a heater in water.

Back
Top Bottom