How do I get ready for 18 weeks girls ready to lay eggs?

Part of your problem on this forum is that you get so many different ideas and suggestions you don't know what to do. That's because there is practically never just one way to do something, there are typically a lot of different ways that can work. Each of us may have something unique about our set-up, experiences, or just our personal preferences that makes one way better for us. There is a learning curve and trial and error is often a part of that.

:goodpost:

Fortunately for us all, chickens are tough, adaptable animals who are capable of thriving under many different management systems as long as their need for space, shelter from the weather, fresh air, and good food are met. :)

I've had pullets of the same breed and even the same parents start to lay as early as 16 weeks and some not start for over 27 weeks. Sisters. One time I had production type pullets not start for 9 months. When those did finally start it was in the first week of December, the shortest days of the year. Two out of three of those started within a week of each other. I did not provide any artificial lights. People can certainly tell you when their pullets started and I can tell you when some of mine started but I cannot tell you when yours will start.

I had a 13-week-old pullet willingly squat for a 13-week-old cockerel. She did not start to lay for another 2 months. There are several things that indicate they might possibly start to lay soon but the only sure sign is when you see an egg.

Another sign is that the combs and wattles often get bright red when they are ready to lay. Them scratching the bedding in the nests is another good sign, they may be looking for a good place to make a nest. That's one reason I want the nests open. Squatting is an indication that maybe she is getting ready. The pelvic bones separate a bit when they are getting ready. If the vent is soft, damp, and pink they are getting ready or actually laying but if the vent is dry and tight they are not.

I'd consider add another two to three inches of lip on those nests to help keep them from scratching out the bedding, fake eggs, and real eggs. You can wait to see what happens, sometimes shallow nests like that work out, but if you see the bedding or fake eggs on the coop floor I'd raise the lip.

People use hay, straw, wood shavings, Spanish moss, dried leaves, feed bags, carpet, rags, shredded paper, and who knows what else as nest bedding. For every one of these somebody can tell you why they won't work yet someone else is happy using them. That's just the way this forum works. I personally don't like wood shavings or dried leaves but some people do. I cut long grass from places I don't mow or weed eat and dry that, pretty close to hay.

Part of your problem on this forum is that you get so many different ideas and suggestions you don't know what to do. That's because there is practically never just one way to do something, there are typically a lot of different ways that can work. Each of us may have something unique about our set-up, experiences, or just our personal preferences that makes one way better for us. There is a learning curve and trial and error is often a part of that.

Good luck!
Appreciate your advice! Here is my pic all
Set up in coop. Thoughts? I will be mindful of lip…. See how it goes. Am I looking good?

Attachments

• 4BFF09D1-0795-439F-9684-5BEF684801BD.jpeg
    4BFF09D1-0795-439F-9684-5BEF684801BD.jpeg
    704.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 975712C9-5E33-4C3B-B049-FF3D36366E61.jpeg
    975712C9-5E33-4C3B-B049-FF3D36366E61.jpeg
    489.6 KB · Views: 4
You were right to block them from the nest box too soon. You don't want them to get in the habit of sleeping in them. I even block mine at night from the big girls because there is always one or two that like to sleep (which leads to pooping) in them. As a noob I did put a golf ball and a fake egg in the nest but have since found it to be unnecessary. I don't even use fluffy nest materials anymore. Astroturf type plastic matts are so easy to clean.

All good advice here, I would suggest watching them closely as well. My pullets have surprised me any number of times by laying early at 16 weeks and picking a totally unsuitable spot to lay and Every darned one them will decide that "THAT" spot is exactly where they must lay. I once found 15 eggs under an old board against the side of the run. I honestly couldn't figure out how they even managed to wiggle under there to lay, not to mention they had to have all been contortionists to even lay without bonking their heads on the low "top" to their chosen spot.

Back
Top Bottom