How do I get ready for the eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by americanshorty26, Aug 29, 2008.

1. americanshorty26

americanshorty26 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    When my chickens start to lay eggs what kinda things do I need to have?

Should I clean them? And if so, with what?
    I heard something about putting fake eggs in the nesting boxes, what is that about? Also, what should I put in the nest box bedding? Would pine needels work?

I know lots of questions but anything that you know would really help me out.

Thanks Amy

2. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Amy,

I'm also new at this but this is what I've found:

--my chicks ignored the golf balls but like the close quarters of the nesting boxes so have begun using them after they laid their first egg. I think for a couple of them the first egg came as a bit of a surprise.
    --mine prefer straw over wood chips in the nesting box

And last, I only clean the egg if it has something on it -- typically I just wipe it off with a paper towel. I also will be interested in hearing whether others clean their eggs or not.

Deb

3. oldegger

oldegger Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    Monclova, OH
    Ditto on the pine shavings and straw. really haven't had any dirty eggs. one hen did layed one egg while roosting. With 8 inches of shavings it didn't break or land in any poo.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Amy, when your hens start laying switch them over to layer feed, if you haven't already. Offer oyster shell in a seperate container, free-choice.
    Don't wash your eggs until you are ready to cook them. They are naturally coated with a layer called bloom. It protects the egg and keeps em fresher longer. If they are really dirty from the nest, just wipe them off with a paper towel.
    To encourage hens to lay in the nesting boxes, some use golf balls or fake eggs. I have alot of egg gourds that I grew, they look just like the real thing, but they weren't necessary. My hens seem to like the closeness of the nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by