How do I get rid of a NASTY rooster???

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I really appreciate it. If I had known roosters were like this then I wouldn't have taken him. I'm new to this and have been reading BYC for several months and have learned a lot.

And I like the comment about the iron skillet...um.....!
big_smile.png

So he's in a cage at the moment and I'll just keep putting up ads for him. I have certainly put that he is nasty in the ads so people are fully aware of what he is like.

I had a mean little roo like that... once upon a time. I went to all the trouble of cleaning and cooking him, just to find out he was inedible. The longer I stewed him, the tougher he got. By the time I gave up, the dog couldn't even eat him.

Didn't learn until later that the hormones that make roos so "randy" and mean also turn their meat stringy, dark, and strong-tasting. Lesson learn, I "off" mine now as soon as they start learning to crow!

Kathy, Bellville TX

Kathy - Thanks for the information. Makes me not want to go down that road. Even if I got someone to kill him, I wouldn't know what to do next!

Just curious...how do you 'off' them???

I had a little banty boy that was turning into a meanie..I gave him to someone on the local freecycle list..They wanted him for grasshopper control..

Quote:
I have found that if I brine them a day or two in the fridge, then boil them till the meat comes off the bones...Then I cut/chop the meat accross the grain..It makes wonderful soup/stew meat and nice chopped BBQ sandwiches too.
As for how to "off" them Look over in the "meat birds" area..Maybe even start a new thread there
smile.png

Last edited:
I have mean boys and I can't hurt them, either. I've been finding a way to deal with them for almost 2 years and around a week ago, I discovered the cure. Water gun. Walk up to your guy and give him a spritz, if he comes at you, give him a light shove with your foot and don't turn your back on him until he walks away first. Keep spraying him periodically even if he does nothing wrong, as a reminder. And have your daugher try it also, in your presence. Keep it with you for a few weeks or so. Chickens, especially roos, need constant reminders. My boys, for the first time, have actually listened. They really don't like getting wet. Get one with a big pump that sprays alot at once!

Quote:
The game hen I bought is just a little bit mean about keeping my other hens away from treats. We always serve them in more than one place, but my wife is going tomorrow to find a water gun.

THANK YOU!

Quote:
Don't laugh... I shoot them in the head with a .22 rifle. It would be easier with a pistol, but haven't bought one yet. I just can't bring myself to try the neck wringing, throat cutting, or neck snapping methods. It's so much nicer to hold their legs, lay them on the ground, stroke them gently until they nod off, and then pull the trigger.

I was feeling pretty bad about being such a whimp until I read "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens" and found out he does the same thing.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
If you find out, tell me too. I have a mean, nasty, stinky, lousy, poopyhead of a Buff Orpington rooster who has taken to attacking me whenever I feed or water him. One time I dumped the whole can of water on his head...no difference. I tried walking around with him tied by the feet and hanging upside down from my waist for about an hour. No help. (Cuddling him means getting punctured by his beak). Last thing I tried was grabbing him around the neck while in full flight as he was attacking me and swinging him down on to the ground - upside down - while I held a partial strangle hold on him. That worked for two days and then it was back to attack again. He is beautiful but treacherous. I, too, can't kill. I've thought of letting him out of the parrot cage I keep him in and letting nature take its course. I live in owl and hawk country out here in the Southwest. Can't quite bring myself to do it though.

Back
Top Bottom