How do I get rid of house sparrows?

Quote:
There's a spray you can mist on them before you pull them out of the trap... doesn't hurt them, it just kills the mites. We use it on Raptors when they come in for rehab... (I'll get the name of it) Isn't that Uncle Blaine's trap ingenious? I didn't think it would really work, but voila! You use chicken scratch... I found bread and cheetoes do the trick
wink.png

Quote:
There's a spray you can mist on them before you pull them out of the trap... doesn't hurt them, it just kills the mites. We use it on Raptors when they come in for rehab... (I'll get the name of it) Isn't that Uncle Blaine's trap ingenious? I didn't think it would really work, but voila! You use chicken scratch... I found bread and cheetoes do the trick
wink.png

Ooh what is the spray? Yes it works! Really doesn't look like it would work just from looking at it.. it's just too weird, that lever with wheel, plus bird has to squeeze through tiny hole..

I'll try bread and cheetos if the catch levels off again.. just using what they are familiar with- there are people in neighborhood with poultry and most feed only chicken scratch.

I'm so glad to find this post, as I'm loosing all my Organic laying pellets to the sparrows! I open up my (small) coop in the morning and leave it open all day so my flock can go in and eat, lay an egg, whatever they want throughout the day. I also don't have to worry about being home at the exact right time in the evening if I leave the door open--they go in to sleep (once when the wind blew it shut I was looking all over the horse stalls to find my chickens!)

How is everyone killing the sparrows after trapping them? I think I would have a really hard time with this (although I'm sure my cat and Doxie would help if I gave them the chance).

They have started to nest all over my house, and even got in the attic and I had to have a pest control company come out to close up some holes and remove a nest. I didn't realize they were considered a pest bird.

I also have Doves that eat the chicken feed, but not as bad as the sparrows...

Boy I dunno.We have crow's here they ate a lot of duck corn over winter.We put food out with all the snow for the smaller one's and the cardinal's.I haven't saw the crow's around much since it's warm.We have nest of barn swallow's which We love and they seem to forage naturaly feeding the young and We don't really have too many pest Bird's except the crow's in winter.We try to keep the wild bird feeding area away from house but with 2 feet of snow at time's last winter they were at my front door waiting.Most of the wild birds pretty much get along here.Those Blue Jays are tempermental with anything around young lol.We have a weird bird here dunno what they are the young have huge long orange mouths and the adult's have a call at night we just call them night bird's.They are ok NP they just make a lot of noise. Avid bird lover here so....

I trap English sparrows all the time, as they kill off my bluebirds and tree swallows. I use one of the smaller critter traps, like a rectangular cage with doors on the end that slap down when they hit the trigger inside it. I place birdseed inside on the flapper, and they go for it every time. I hardly ever catch anything else, but when I do, it's easy to release them. But be careful that they don't escape, because they have a sharp memory of that trap and you'll never catch it again. I use a garbage bag around one end and get help to empty the bird into the bag. My hubby then breaks its neck through the bag.
I've pretty much emptied my yard of them every spring.
bethanyrae

After playing with the location of the trap for 3 days I caught my first sparrow this morning and when I got home from work I had 7 in the trap. Its a start to giving the blue birds a chance.

I've had a sparrow trap for 2/3 years now.
I caught some the first year but this year not one!
he.gif

I use scratch feed for bait, even setting some on the perch area to attract them but NOTHING???
I do not set any feed out for my ducks and geese. They are only fed when they are locked in for the night
so its not like the sparrows have access to food elsewhere.
Any ideas?

Hi all,
I know this is an old post but an ongoing problem. I have watched HOSP murder a tree swallow mama on her nest. This was after they drove off our bluebirds one year, and pecked holes in the skulls of barn swallow nestlings. Wretched, wretched creatures.
I am going to buy a trap. But what do you do with the birds once you have caught them?

Back
Top Bottom