1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do i get rid of it...*pics*

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Whitewinterwolf, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    This thing has ZERO fear...
    It hasent done anything to my birds "yet" but it was amazing how close I could get.
    It followed me around, watched me, and was almost waiting for something.
    It showed interest in my silkies though which I did NOT like...
    And as you can see there pen is only semi up.
    The run panels are not done yet, and so the tarps and X-pen are all they have for the moment. Though Steve (silkie roo) did yell pretty good at it...
    I got a bunch of good shots after it was obvious it wasn't going anywhere. I hollered, stomped, threw some pebbles at it, and nothing, it just followed me???
    Its like its tame?
    But seriously, how do I deter it from eating my hens?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You all have chicken dogs, I have a chicken cat...This girl is the best predator deturent EVER! She has chased of fox's, raccoon's, Stray dogs...
    But this Young hawk was either to afraid to move, or just not afraid at all.
    Dude, I could touch it... Maybell fluffed up and hissed, walked up to it all stiff and sniffed its face and hissed, but yet nothing.
    It just kept watching me?
    [​IMG]
    Hawk fail...

2. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I had one that did that. It landed on the ground right in front of me and scared me to death!! It finally flew off, but it still hangs out. Scary

3. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Call a wildlife bird of prey or raptor center as they will come pick it up

4. mamahen2011

mamahen2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Michigan
    I'd be wondering if it's been hand raised maybe? Was it banded at all? The hawks we have around here won't let you on the same side of the street as them let alone walk up to you. It sounds like that little fella has had some experiences with people.

5. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Wow - really good pictures. It's pretty. I would think it's sick, however it looks really good. No ruffling or anything that would show illness. I think it's really neat, must be just waiting for a good meal. If it were me, and I could get that close to it, I'd get a heavy blanket and a dog crate. Throw blanket over hawk, put in crate, and move it far, far from my home. Not sure about how legal that is, but that's my idea.

6. charsbird

charsbird Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    Vermont
    Is that an OWL?

7. andrea98

andrea98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    Call your game warden .. It could be injured or sick.. It may be a pet too.????

8. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Quote:Good idea.

9. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Great pictures! I second calling a wild life center or the state dept. Maybe something is wrong with it or it's young and inexperienced. That way you could also discuss deterrent methods so it doesn't come back.

10. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    First of all - WOW! Some of those pics are great!

Secondly - I have to wonder what is wrong with him......letting both you and the cat get that close....not right hawk behavior - know what I mean?
    Do you have any wildlife rehabilitators near you? They may be able to point you in the right direction for help. Relocating raptors is double tough.

-wish I could be of more help-please update when you can!? Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by