How do i get rid of leg mites fast and effective

Apr 17, 2022
Denmark
Hi I think my old chickens have gotten leg mites, they’re feet are white and thick, a couple of them don’t lay eggs anymore because of their age so is it best to just send those to chicken heaven
how do I treat the other ones?

I have heard from some that you should dip their feet In oil each day for a while and spray their coop with something that kill the mites is that true and how long does it take?😊

What can I do to prevent it from happening again?

Definitely mites, they bite the chickens at night. The coop is likely infested, strip it, scrub it with a weak bleach solution, and let it air. Complete new bedding! Putting petroleum jelly or oil on their legs daily is the next step, this smothers the mites on their legs. There's a good deal more than just these things though, Diatomaceous Earth is hotly debated, and there are also more conventional treatments.
The older hens. Are you planning to eat them? If not, please don't kill them over mites! 🙏♥️
Good luck!!

(I'm tagging @Eggcessive because.... they're incredibly knowledgeable about life, the universe....and most importantly, chickens. 👍)

Definitely mites, they bite the chickens at night. The coop is likely infested, strip it, scrub it with a weak bleach solution, and let it air. Complete new bedding! Putting petroleum jelly or oil on their legs daily is the next step, this smothers the mites on their legs. There's a good deal more than just these things though, Diatomaceous Earth is hotly debated, and there are also more conventional treatments.
The older hens. Are you planning to eat them? If not, please don't kill them over mites! 🙏♥️
Good luck!!

(I'm tagging @Eggcessive because.... they're incredibly knowledgeable about life, the universe....and most importantly, chickens. 👍)
That you for your answer😊, their coop is built of tree so can you still do the thing with bleach? I also have my own chickens who live in a coop next to the big ones, do they also need treatment?
The older chicks will be eaten if we decide to kill them, but it’s only one and that one have also dealt with other stuff, but don’t worry I won’t kill a chicken just to trow it out.
I have just added some pics so do you have Any idea of how bad of a case this is? Thank you a lot for your Help😊

Attachments

• 8C597806-7556-429C-8B8E-7373B5DE3445.jpeg
    8C597806-7556-429C-8B8E-7373B5DE3445.jpeg
    573.4 KB · Views: 49
  • BEECA59F-AE63-4888-9A09-527376BE59AF.jpeg
    BEECA59F-AE63-4888-9A09-527376BE59AF.jpeg
    489.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 42BE0DEE-3A4C-4AA0-B4CA-F4D9D676BCBD.jpeg
    42BE0DEE-3A4C-4AA0-B4CA-F4D9D676BCBD.jpeg
    709.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 310C9B42-C36B-4AA1-A6E6-AD45E1164CD8.jpeg
    310C9B42-C36B-4AA1-A6E6-AD45E1164CD8.jpeg
    443.6 KB · Views: 48
I prefer to let the senior hens live out their natural lives. In some keeping arrangements they teach the younger chickens the ropes and provide long term stability to the group.

A quick method to deal with Scaly Leg Mite is to dip their legs in rubbing alcohol/surgical spirit.
The advantages of rubbing alcohol is that it doesn't leave a residue like many other liquids and it disinfects. The principle is much the same though as it drowns the mites.
Bear in mind that it takes time for the old scales to be shed and new ones grown. The old scales do not return to normal looking once the mites are dead. They have to be shed.

I prefer to let the senior hens live out their natural lives. In some keeping arrangements they teach the younger chickens the ropes and provide long term stability to the group.

A quick method to deal with Scaly Leg Mite is to dip their legs in rubbing alcohol/surgical spirit.
The advantages of rubbing alcohol is that it doesn't leave a residue like many other liquids and it disinfects. The principle is much the same though as it drowns the mites.
Bear in mind that it takes time for the old scales to be shed and new ones grown. The old scales do not return to normal looking once the mites are dead. They have to be shed.
Thank you for your answer😊 i Will remember that and try it, is it just normal rubbing alcohol or something special for chickens?

Thank you for your answer😊 i Will remember that and try it, is it just normal rubbing alcohol or something special for chickens?
Just the normal stuff. It will take at least two treatments; one to kill the live mites, the other to kill the mites from the eggs the original mites laid.
If you are only dealing with a few chickens applying Vaseline to their legs once a week or so will help prevent future mite problems.

Back
Top Bottom