How do I get the chicks to come to the coop at night?

QueenBeeloved

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 3, 2008
Hi there. Completely green at this. I just put my four week old chicks out in their tractor three nights ago. (fully feathered and HOT here)
They are loving it! However... they don't go into the coop end at night?! I have to heard them in one by one through the back egg door. I enticed one with a treat by putting my arm out the chicken door (through the inside) but as soon as it took the treat it went back down the ladder and no one else even tried? I thought this was a natural thing for chickens?? What can I do to encourage it? When the sun sets they huddle in the bottom under the coop area (it overhangs the run area) and chirp loudly.

I'm assuming you have roosts inside the coop? You need to go out every night and literally set them on the roosts after dark. After a few nights, maybe a week, they should get the idea and go there on their own.

Do you shut them in the coop at night? Another possibility is to throw some scratch (not much if it's hot outside) or some other treat (better than scratch if you have it) inside the coop and call "here chick, chick, chick" or whatever words you want. They will learn to come when you call them and once they go inside you can lock the door and they will most likely chose to go up onto the roosts to sleep.

Ok. That's sorta what I've been doing for three nights now... just thought they would do it on their own. I'm relieved to know I on the right track. Thanks!!!

I guess I got lucky, my 8 week olds go into the coop at night by themselves.
yippiechickie.gif

When ever we get new chicks or chickens and it's there first night in the coop.. the day we put them in the pen we put them in the coop first and let them walk out the coop on there own that way they will know what the inside already looks like and wont be afriad to go in at night and that has work for us almost everytime
smile.png

Don't your chicks go bonkers when you turn out the light? Mine did the couple of times I did that. Anyway, they're 7 weeks old today and the past couple of nights they've gone right into the coop like little soldiers at about 8:25. They aren't free-ranging yet though. Just out in the run.

My 9 week old chicks go in the coop at night as soon as the sun sets but not before. I was in changing water about 8 and hoping the girls would stay in, but the kept a sentry outside, chirping loudly. First sentry was Twink, then she changed places with Daisy, very funny. So I walked down the path and they thought it was safe to go in, and I went back and shut the door. Very funny. They dont sleep on the roost yet though. They sleep all piled up in the corner. I guess as they get bigger, they will start on their roost.

I have a window in my coop and hung one of those solar garden lights near it... it comes on automatically when it gets dark out, shut off when it's light, recharges itself with sunlight and isn't bright enough to keep the chicks up. I love that thing!

My chicks all come in at night by themselves (they are only 4 weeks old!! It's been so hot they've been allowed outside). One silkie decided to sleep in the grass the other day though (during the day)... I couldn't find her and had a freak out! Finally I saw her fuzzy little butt and went over to pick her up. She's fine... just having a secret nap in the weeds... the little stinker!!

Back
Top Bottom