How do I get this color variation?

Gigachad poultry

💖
Premium Feather Member
Dec 24, 2022
Vicenza IT
Hello and good afternoon everyone I recently was reading about color genetics and varieties of budgies and I was wondering how to get the mutation like the one in the photo?
e8e482fdd87c2d56e98965d3dbd3f10e.jpg

I have a male that is blue with a yellow face who is paired with a single factor blue pied female. Could them breeding create a blue double factor.

The first bird you pictured looks like a single factor dominant pied. As the name suggests it's dominant so unless one of the parents is dominant pied none of the young will be.
Your female is Reccessive pied and therefore already double factor.

Edited for some more clarification: In budgies there is three different and distinct pied mutations.
Dominant, Reccessive, and Clearflight.
Dominant pied is dominant so there can be SF and DF (single factor/double factor).
Reccessive pied is reccessive so any visual reccessive pied is DF. A SF recessive pied is simply a bird split for reccessive pied.
Clearflight pied I am not sure on the genetics, but they look fairly different from other pieds.

Last edited:
The first bird you pictured looks like a single factor dominant pied. As the name suggests it's dominant so unless one of the parents is dominant pied none of the young will be.
Your female is Reccessive pied and therefore already double factor.

Edited for some more clarification: In budgies there is three different and distinct pied mutations.
Dominant, Reccessive, and Clearflight.
Dominant pied is dominant so there can be SF and DF (single factor/double factor).
Reccessive pied is reccessive so any visual reccessive pied is DF. A SF recessive pied is simply a bird split for reccessive pied.
Clearflight pied I am not sure on the genetics, but they look fairly different from other pieds.
Thank you so much. I'm planning on selling some of my budgie flock sense I have to many and I want to move the pair I want to keep to their own breeder cages. I will take my sky blue male & albino female for one of my cages and the golden faced male & SF blue female for the second. My third cage has a olive green male & Opaline green female. My fourth cage will have Lutino male & a Opaline green female. I plan on breeding them all next summer and hand rearing the chicks. I can't wait to have an army of little baby budgies! I normally sell my hand reared chicks for 30€-50€!

Back
Top Bottom