how do I go about adding 5 mth old chickens to my flock

OHhappychicks

Crowing
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Hillsboro,OH
A neighbor down the road would like to trade me a couple of roosters for a couple of laying hens. My flock is the same flock I started with as chicks. They are about 16 mths old. His roosters are 5 mths old. Should I trade him and, if so, what is the best way to introduce them to my flock.
hu.gif

What are you using the roosters for--breeding, eye candy, music??

Do you have a place to keep them for a month or so--away from your girls? You will want to quarantine them.

Do you have roosters now? Will there be 'war' on the new roos??

I think others will need these answers before they can answer your question.

Unless I had LOTS of laying hens I wouldn't trade my girls for a roo! If I needed/wanted a roo, I would just purchase the one I wanted.

I got my pullets at 18weeks old and it's been a long haul getting them to a laying stage, so these egg layers are like gold to me...this is just my humble opinion....

I do not have any roosters at this time. I have a very healthy flock and do not want to bring anything into them, although I have been wanting to get another rooster. I had a sweet little roo, but lost him this summer. Not due to any contaminating illness though. I was thinking of getting some new chicks in the spring and would keep some of the roos from them. When you say quarantine, do you mean in a completely different place and for about how long? I have 15 hens at this time. I think they should start to moult in a few weeks as they haven't been through that yet. If that even makes any diff.

I guess I really don't know why I want any roos, except maybe for the "eye candy", and I do like the sound of roosters crowing. I do not raise my own chicks, so I really don't want them for breeding.

Been reading a few posts on the same subject and think I will keep my flock as is for the time being. It's getting colder here and I don't think I want to bother with all the fuss of quarantine right now. Thanks for the info!!!
wink.png
Love this site!!!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom