how do I go about adding 5 mth old chickens to my flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by OHhappychicks, Oct 11, 2009.

1. OHhappychicks

OHhappychicks Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    A neighbor down the road would like to trade me a couple of roosters for a couple of laying hens. My flock is the same flock I started with as chicks. They are about 16 mths old. His roosters are 5 mths old. Should I trade him and, if so, what is the best way to introduce them to my flock. [​IMG]

2. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    What are you using the roosters for--breeding, eye candy, music??

Do you have a place to keep them for a month or so--away from your girls? You will want to quarantine them.

Do you have roosters now? Will there be 'war' on the new roos??

I think others will need these answers before they can answer your question.

Unless I had LOTS of laying hens I wouldn't trade my girls for a roo! If I needed/wanted a roo, I would just purchase the one I wanted.

I got my pullets at 18weeks old and it's been a long haul getting them to a laying stage, so these egg layers are like gold to me...this is just my humble opinion....

3. OHhappychicks

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    I do not have any roosters at this time. I have a very healthy flock and do not want to bring anything into them, although I have been wanting to get another rooster. I had a sweet little roo, but lost him this summer. Not due to any contaminating illness though. I was thinking of getting some new chicks in the spring and would keep some of the roos from them. When you say quarantine, do you mean in a completely different place and for about how long? I have 15 hens at this time. I think they should start to moult in a few weeks as they haven't been through that yet. If that even makes any diff.

4. OHhappychicks

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    I guess I really don't know why I want any roos, except maybe for the "eye candy", and I do like the sound of roosters crowing. I do not raise my own chicks, so I really don't want them for breeding.

5. OHhappychicks

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    Been reading a few posts on the same subject and think I will keep my flock as is for the time being. It's getting colder here and I don't think I want to bother with all the fuss of quarantine right now. Thanks for the info!!![​IMG] Love this site!!![​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If you aren't using them for breeding, keep them away from your layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by