How do I help my friend help herself (weight loss).

This is not something I talk about on line or off but I really feel I have to here.

I have battled with weight for 28 years started with my first pregnacy and I went from 145 lbs to 568 lbs after I had my child, med problems. I can't tell ya how many times I got down to 225 lbs and then the doc's changed my meds and back up to over 400 lbs I would go.

Weight watchers works if ya work it and leaves room for all foods so that ya don't feel deprived.

Meds can and does cause severe weight gains and losses.

My helpful family ( 1 daughter and 1 sister) harrassed me for about 5 years till I gave into gastric bypass surgery. Sometimes ya just can't fight everyone ya get tired. I had it on Oct 8th of 2007 and by Jan 30th 2008 they had to reverse it because I was dying. Please never never encourage anyone to have that surgery. Some of the things they don't tell ya is that you starve to death, not food wise but nutrient wise. Also if ya take meds think about it 99% of the meds today is time released. That means it is programed to work on a normal digestive system. Gastric bypass takes 90% of that away so your meds don't work. They'll tell ya that 1 in 10,000 dies from that surgery what they don't tell ya is that is what dies on the table. Once off that table then it can kill ya but it is listed under different things like gastric infection, bleeding disorder, has hundreds of names for the death but wouldn't of happened with out that surgery. What they don't tell ya is if they take the complications that occur after that surgery it is more like 1 in 5 die with complications that come as a direct result of that surgery. Yes people gain the weight back after a few years but not because they don't follow the diet it is because the body works like a desert if it doesn't get enough of what it needs then it stores it. Water, don't drink enough ya got water retention. Don't eat enough nutrients then it stores fat. And ya can't get enough with vits and such. I will tell ya right now that nobody can understand weigh loss problems unless they have been there.

And as far as the comment about this girl not caring enough about herself to make a change. Well that is a misguided statement and that is the kind of statements that send over weight people into depression and feeling like they can't lose the weight. It is not meant to but it does. Over weight people are very discriminated against. One other thing there is no statistics on weight loss surgery none they have been done but they are not out there. I will tell ya that I now have even more problems medical wise then before the surgery and I will have to have more surgeries as a result of the lack of nutrients my body was deprived from while I had that surgery.

I actually lost more weight before the surgery and after the reversal then I did with that surgery.

I have lost 157 lbs in the last year and only 32 was during the 4 months that I had that surgery.

I still have 100 lbs to go. I have done it before and will do it again. That weight will go off but at a slow healthy rate. I also have stopped taking the meds that cause the weight gains and won't take them again.

Someone mentioned Paul McKenna from the show I can make ya thin. He can and it is a healthy thin and addresses everything including emotions and emotional eating. I never do catch his show I seen it once and it made a huge difference.

It took me almost dying to realise that people judge you for what is on the outside, and their opinion isn't worth it. You have to accept who you are on the inside before working on that outside, and that outside work has to be for you and nobody else. You also need the support of a higher power and good friends.

Great job supporting your friend I am sure she knows you care for her insides and that is why you want her outside to be healthy.

Thank you for letting me share. I sure hope I don't regret it. I just hope it helps one person realise the damage that that surgery can do. Doc's don't want to reverse it and they don't want people to know reversal is even possiable. But I would of died without that reversal and I also know 2 people who have died since I had that surgery and 1 that will die this month as a result of the surgery.

Off my soap box.

I think it's great that you're trying to help her. Overcoming the emotional or spiritual problems are key. Overeating is usually just a symptom. I am overweight myself, but thankfully not nearly to that point. She has to care enough to do something about it -- I say that as someone who has struggled with weight for over 30 years.

Last edited:
Thank you, zookeeper. I know that had to be very hard for you to write. I really appreciate you doing that. Thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions. I know this is something she HAS to do on her own, I just want to make sure I give her all the support I can. As I mentioned before, I have had bulemia since I was 12....one of the most helpful things to me has been the fact that my best friend is, too. She and I have spent may hours over the years giving each other emotional support and I want to be able to do the same for this friend. I know that, with her current weight related health issues, she won't be here long if she doesn't do something about it.

well, all eating disorders all caused by an underlying issue, see if shes willing to talk to a councler find her a support group. Some people might think its taboo, but let me be the first to say i have a councler i go to groups for all sorts of reasons and i'm proud of it. Why should someone be ashamed of trying to improve their life. Tell, her that maybe it'll help

I wish she could go to a counselor. There is really no way she can afford one. I am a fiirm believer in seeking help when needed. Ugh....I am NOT fond of Atkins. It seems so terribly unhealthy. My brother tried it and it worked great.....until he went off it. He gained back double what he lost in no time.

Weight Watchers!!! It's a great program. If SHE is truly ready to lose the weight it could be very helpful for her. Although as we all know no one else can do it except ourselves. WE need to want it.

Atkins is not healthy. I did a program like it and lost 30 lbs....the minute i stopped that program it all came back quickly.

There is also gastric bypass. My friend just had it with great success. If she is truly going to die without the weight loss it is an option.

We had a student at our school who was very ill due to her weight. She went on a bariatric (sp?) diet, then switched to a low fat low cal diet. Portion control is incredibly important and also extremely hard. I would probably start with cutting down on fat content without worrying about portions at this point. Additionally, if 60% or more of what she ate in the day were vegetables supplemented with fruit, that too would help.

I wish her well. Dieting is very difficult especially when it needs to be a way of life rather than a diet. I would recommend vitamins versus weight loss pills.

Your support will be the most valuable thing for her
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom