How do I help my friend help herself (weight loss).

I have been overweight since the birth of my two children, I gained 50 lbs with each one, and never lost it, much.... I went on a program called doctors family weight loss clinic, kinda like jenny craig. I ate their food, was hungry all the time, but kept with it, it was high protien, but lots of vegies, and very small portions at mealtime. I lost 80 lbs. but when I went off it, I gained it all back, plus a few....actually more than a few. I was very depressed, and found myself not caring at all, eating when the food didn't even taste good.
I had no friend to help me. I think If I would have had someone who would have supported me and been there for me I would have done better, and kept it off. Now it is a struggle to just not gain any more weight.
I take thyroid medicine and thinking that I could lose weight now, but it is harder as the years go by. I decided to just eat healthy, I read all the boxes, I don't eat anything that is partially hydrogenated.... I don't eat any bread that has enriched flour, only whole grain. and watch the sodium. I have lost about 10 lbs the past 2 months. without trying. just reading everything, and not eating after 6pm really is the icing on the cake..(so to speak!)
having all my farm animals really helps. I find myself sitting outside watching them, doing chores, keeping busy, and just trying not to eat all the time.
It is a battle every day, everytime I walk past the donut case at walmart, (I am a cake decorator there) and I hear the donuts calling my name... I sometimes give in, but instead of eating 2 donuts, I will have 1 and a banana. then fruit and good things for lunch.
I find if you give in to a craving, it helps alot. Especially if you don't have someone who says "thats not on your diet" I really hate that.

I hope your friend knows that she can call you and talk to you, from the sounds of it, it sound like you are being a great friend.
Thanks! From the sisterhood of the weight challenged.

well, i don't know if this means much since i'm not 18 but i've always had weight issues. i used to eat to cover my feelings over my family. i was 5'2 pushing 200, at ten years old.

I am a nutritional consultant, personal chef, and physical fitness coordinator at my base.
If your friend needs help I'd be more than happy to offer my services free of charge.
Obviously I can't go cook for her but I can supply healthy recipes as well as teach her about healthy eating that will lead to weight loss.
I DO NOT BELIEVE IN DIETS!!!!!!!

If you look at the TRUE meaning of "DIET" it refers to what a person eats on a regular basis.
Most "diets" you read about are meant to be short term "loose five pounds to fit in that bikinni" type things.
whitch is great if you're Nicole Richy but for the rest of the planet.....

Most of the time I have been able to achieve weight loss just by providing my client with choices and educating them on the correct choice.

Anyway, send her my contact information and I'll help any way I can.
www.haleskitchen.com
she can e-mail me from there and I'll reply from my home e-mail for more direct communication.

Quote:
You are awesome. Thank you. I will pass the info on to her tomorrow. Again, thank you!!!
hugs.gif

To address the emotional triggers for overeating, there's a type of acupressure treatment that's easy to learn. The EFT manual is free and there's quite a few demonstrations on YouTube.

EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) isn't just for overeating, it can be used for phobias, PTSD, pain,....just about anything.
www.emofree.com

Tell your friend that you are there to support her, but you can not loose the weight for her. Richard Simons is still a good weight loss person. He really help a friend of the family a few years back. so look into his plans to help her he deals with people with weight problems like hers all the time .

After reading this post yesterday it motivated me to get my Weight Watcher books and calculator back out. I've calculated my points this morning.

Thanks luvmychicknkids.....you motivated me too!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom