How do I introduce younger chicks with older chicks?

TechyFarmer

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Salem, OR
I have some chicks that are 3 weeks old as of today. And I will be getting some more day old chicks on May 1st, the other chicks will then be a little over 4 weeks old at that time.

What would be the best approach to introducing day old chicks with 4 week old chicks.. Should I wait for the Day old ones to get a few weeks older and then combine them, or wait until they are all adults?

Thanks,
-Jay

In order to introduce them wait until the younger ones are about the same size as the older ones at the same time. Then place the younger ones in an area where the older ones can see them and not hurt them for about a week. Then let the younger ones out watch for a bit, no blood no foul. The time it takes for the younger ones to catch up is about the same amount of time they would need to be quarentined anyhow. But make sure they are all about the same size or the smaller ones could get really hurt.

Hi and Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Personally, I've had the best luck with introducing 2 different age groups when they are about the same size as one another. This gives the younger chicks atleast a chance to stand up for themselves.

We even divided our main run so that I can place younger birds on one side, keeping them seperated from the older birds, but they still get a chance to get used to each other.

For me, adding the younger birds to the older ones has worked better if I add them at night. There's still some picking/fighting but not too bad.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

Those were both very helpful posts. Thanks.

I think I am going to put chicken wire in between the two slots in my horse trailer and put the young ones and one side and the older ones on the other side so they can see each other. (Since I haven't built my coop yet)

Again, Thanks!
-Jay

I put my day old's that I got yesterday in the coop with my two week old chicks and supervised them and at first the older ones were scared but after a few minutes they all mingled together, one of my two week old hen chick is "acting like a grown up mama" and stays with them, sleeps beside them and so on.... the little ones follow the older ones and no pecking is done. It went pretty well... I was worried at first being a first time mom to chicks.
26451_deux_dindes_et_14_poussins_arriver_le_22_avril_2009_001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom