How do I keep a dust bath dry?

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
I have a dust bath in the run for my chickens. At night I put a cut out tarp over it to keep it from getting wet from the rain. Well, I kinda work but last night it was pouring a now the dust bath is soaked and I was wondering what people do to keep them dry. Any Ideas?

I have a dust bath in the run for my chickens. At night I put a cut out tarp over it to keep it from getting wet from the rain. Well, I kinda work but last night it was pouring a now the dust bath is soaked and I was wondering what people do to keep them dry. Any Ideas?
Some people just get runs with roofs on them, or put something on top of the run so the run in general doesn't get muddy. I'm planning to put some plywood on top of my run, or some corrugated roofing.

Some people just get runs with roofs on them, or put something on top of the run so the run in general doesn't get muddy. I'm planning to put some plywood on top of my run, or some corrugated roofing.
yeah, I used a trap every night but then we switched it to a screen thing which a kind of help but for pouring ran not really.

Well, i only have a few chickens and have a small kiddie pool for a dust bath. I am using an patio umbrella That I haven't used since I bought it last year. Looks cute on the patio, but the chickens will put it to better use. They have a fancy run!

Yes, you can put a roof over the dust bath. If you google "covered dust bath for chickens" & click images, you will see some NEAT ideas!! I especially like the wood, curved one. Of course pretty sure that's one for sale. I sure wouldn't be able to build that one myself. Too intricate and I can only handle very simple joins/attachments. Other ideas would work great.

Curved one is by Flytes of Fancy in UK.

Curved-Dustbath-with-feeder-600.jpg

There are several ways to do it.

Are you using a container that has a bottom? If so, put holes in the bottom of it to allow any wet to drain through.

Once farm I saw posted pics of one they'd built. Instead of using the rubbermaid tub as the dustbath, they made a wood frame that would fit inside of it (at the top where it's wider) and put the frame on the ground. Then when bad weather comes, they put the tub, with the opening used as the bottom, over the frame. The flat bottom is on the top.

Another way is to use the tub with it's lid. Make a hole part way up the side to allow the chickens in, the dusting material level stays under the level of the entrance. Lid can be removed to add more material as needed.

If you need an easy roof over your already constructed dust bath, lean a solid board over it, or hinge 2 boards to put a simple A-frame over it. You can put it away when not in use, or make it not hinged and leave it permanently.

Last edited:
What is the dust bath in...something that will drain or does it hold water?
Pics might help here.
Mine dust underneath the coop, which stays dry most all the year.
But they also dust out in the run, which is open to the rain, just not when it's soaking wet.

What is the dust bath in...something that will drain or does it hold water?
Pics might help here.
Mine dust underneath the coop, which stays dry most all the year.
But they also dust out in the run, which is open to the rain, just not when it's soaking wet.
It's made of dry dirt, sand,and D.E. I will get pics soon

Back
Top Bottom