How do I keep hens from sleeping in laying boxes and pooping at night?

Ok, I think Cinnamon Roll, your observations may be similar to mine. Several of my hens were molting but also I had several young hens added to the coop. I think they were finding their way, as it were. I have not seen them as much sleeping or getting into the laying boxes the last several days. Here are some pics...... The coop I bought from someone else and is short. I put it inside a run made with a dog kennel and covered the ceiling with 2 inch chicken wire, it's like an aviary, sealed top and all sides.

When you lift the roof of the coop you can see the perch rails (about 1 inch poles) and then the laying boxes on the left side.

I think, depending also what you all think, they 1 inch poles may be too small for perches. I could just replace them with 2 by 4s which will add a larger area for them to perch. What do you think? The poles are sturdy, I can say that. I've had over three years of chickens perching on them without much of an issue, until this fall when I had multiple molting hens as well as young hens.

Attachments

• IMG_3735.JPG
    IMG_3735.JPG
    616.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3736.JPG
    IMG_3736.JPG
    663.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3737.JPG
    IMG_3737.JPG
    795.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3738.JPG
    IMG_3738.JPG
    565.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3740.JPG
    IMG_3740.JPG
    480.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3741.JPG
    IMG_3741.JPG
    597.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3742.JPG
    IMG_3742.JPG
    292.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3743.JPG
    IMG_3743.JPG
    538.6 KB · Views: 5
How far apart are the two sets of roosts from one another? Just a guess, but the hens are probably trying to claim it all as their own and leaning forward to peck at the youngsters until they just give up and find a new bed, aka the nests.

How many adults do you have vs pullets? Due to set up, you possibly could put a temporary divider (cardboard, feed bag) between the two sections where the downward sloping crossbeam is, and have hens on one side, pullets on other. If that works for a week or two, then try removing the divider at night and hopefully they'll all stay put (and at some point you can try going without divider at all). In meantime continue covering the nest boxes at night to encourage pullets to use the bars.

Ok, I think Cinnamon Roll, your observations may be similar to mine. Several of my hens were molting but also I had several young hens added to the coop. I think they were finding their way, as it were. I have not seen them as much sleeping or getting into the laying boxes the last several days. Here are some pics...... The coop I bought from someone else and is short. I put it inside a run made with a dog kennel and covered the ceiling with 2 inch chicken wire, it's like an aviary, sealed top and all sides.

When you lift the roof of the coop you can see the perch rails (about 1 inch poles) and then the laying boxes on the left side.

I think, depending also what you all think, they 1 inch poles may be too small for perches. I could just replace them with 2 by 4s which will add a larger area for them to perch. What do you think? The poles are sturdy, I can say that. I've had over three years of chickens perching on them without much of an issue, until this fall when I had multiple molting hens as well as young hens.
I like the 2x4s so they can fluff their feathers over their feet in winter.

Back
Top Bottom