1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do i keep my eggs from freezing this winter??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redhen, Oct 1, 2008.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ..hi...will my eggs freeze this winter outside in the coop?...and also..in my duck hutch(which will be colder than my chicken coop)....the ducks and the chickens wont have any type of heating..or anything....thanks, Wendy

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If it gets down in the teens they will begin to freeze. If your hen house is draft free and well built then hens will generate alot of heat and you will be surprised how warm the hen house can be compared to cold temps outside. Collect your eggs a couple times a day. You should be fine.

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

You can also pad the lining of the nest boxes, I plan to use extra hay in there as the weather gets colder. As you know, eggs are at the hen's body heat when laid. I love watching the bloom dry on them![​IMG]

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I try and collect mine 2 or 3 times a day, but I know that doesn't work if you have to be gone to work all day.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    thanks for the replys guys...[​IMG]..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by