How do I keep my ladies from hanging out right outside the back door?

LeahOregon

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Portland, OR
We just got our 4 and 5-month old chickens a week ago, and they're very sweet and tame. They really seem to enjoy our company when we're out in the yard, and follow us about. Since yesterday they've decided they like to hang out right outside our sliding glass back door. It's very cute, but you can guess why we don't want them there. The poop is starting to pile up.

Is there any way to train them not to sit right outside the door? I don't want to chase them or yell at them because I'd really like them to stay tame. Is this just something we'll have to learn to deal with?

Leah

Hmmm...without seeing your set up...is it possible to put a baby gate somewhere it can block their access? My sliding door leads out to a deck, which has stairs leading up to it and I suppose if I wanted to, I could set up a baby gate to stop them coming up the stairs to the deck but....I actually like having them visit. In fact, yesterday it was warm enough I had the glass door open for the first time this season. We have a cat-sized hole in our screen door and my BR used it to come in the house. I was so engrossed in what I was doing, I didn't immediately notice that her chatter was coming from closer than usual...

They really seem to enjoy our company when we're out in the yard, and follow us about. Since yesterday they've decided they like to hang out right outside our sliding glass back door. It's very cute, but you can guess why we don't want them there. The poop is starting to pile up.

You are part of the flock. In fact, you are their adored leader. They will want to be near you.
My ducks ALWAYS camp out on the porch given the option. Guess what I am doing today? Yup...spraying poop off the slab and cleaning the bill marks off the sliding glass door
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom