How do I keep Orpington’s cool on hot days??

TreeStrepek

Chirping
Apr 10, 2020
Dundee, Illinois USA
Hi Chicken Friends-

It’s muggy & 95 today. I love my hens & have a wonderful setup for them. They have a fan & plenty of cross circulation in their coup. I think they are comfortable @ night.
During the day they are outside- the run has dense shade which is effective @ keeping them cool. Today it’s HOT- What else can I do for them? I tried a little swimming pool yesterday- looks like no one used it though.

eager to Hear any
68881787-B28A-4BCA-8608-1ADFB85254D9.jpeg
advice,
🍃Tree

We don't get your humidity, but occasionally get the heat. I have plastic shoe box containers that I fill with a couple inches of water. Before freezing them, I put some frozen peas in. Then put in freezer. On hot days, I take the giant ice block and put into their run (repurposed kids plastic sled is the holder). They like to peck for the peas and it gets them extra water.

Keep trying with the kiddle pool...it may take more than one day. But even if they don't stand in it, it gives another source of water.

Last edited:
I remember the first time I gave the birds a 'wading pool' filled with ice water.
They were all panting with wings out.
I grabbed one of the most docile birds and held her in there, she struggled for about 5 seconds, then I swear she heaved a big sigh and relaxed.
After that they all partook.
But one bird guzzled too much ice water and appeared to suffer an 'ice cream headache', her eyes went wonky and she kinda staggered around shaking her head.
That's when I went to just and ice block in the pool, still some water to sip as it melts but not nearly as cold.

Deep all day shade is best but....I don't have much of that.
This has worked very well to keep heat stress/stroke at bay:

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

Back
Top Bottom