How do I keep track of chick growth?

mooSa

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
Hi, I need to know how i can be sure that my chicks are growing at proper rates. Since i make my own feed, i need to test its' quality in terms of growth rate. What should their weight be after 2 weeks? I use raw lentils as the main ingredient for high protein.

Some breeds have weight charts out there. Sadly, I don't know where to direct you. But the experts here may be able to help you out.

I usually just check by picking them up. There is always one or two that "feel" light or bony. I make sure to give those chicks extra scrambled eggs and yogurt to the whole flock. Your best comparison will be to the rest of the chicks. You can look how everyone is feathering out, the weight and body "roundness", & general activity level. Some breeds LOOK awful: my australorps just looked MANGY for almost 8 weeks.
sickbyc.gif
Their bodes grew faster than their feathers.

I see, I assume that happens when the feed mixture is not properly balanced. Anyways my new feed mixture is great!, today is now 2 weeks and my chicks average 85 grams. They are fully feathered out and healthy. The reason i am asking is because i read for leghorn type (layers), their weight should be 135 grams at 2 weeks. Sooo... im not sure. The chickens i have are all mixed breeds. nothing is pure

Last edited:
Quote:
Which part? The feathers slower than the bodies? No--some breeds are just like that. Meaties for example. Both my kids do it too. One arm longer than the other for a few weeks, or I'll get them haircuts and the next week it looks like I had it shaved because their heads had a growth spurt. Like Sputnik round and pointy in places. LOL.

ANYWAY-- Don't worry about it too much. The growth charts are just guidlines--like growth charts for kids. Some chicks will be big, some small, but they all tend to end up in the same place.

Back
Top Bottom