how do I keep turning eggs after day 18 without opening lid??

opihiman911

Songster
14 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Today is day 18 for my batch of eggs that had a rough busted up trip in the mail. Out of 36 eggs I ordered, over half were broken, out of the ones that survived shipping, I have 6 that are growing. The sellers of the broken eggs sent me some replacements so those got put in the bator 10 day later and are now on day 8.

My question is how do I keep turning the replacements without opening the bator 3-4 time a day? I've removed the egg turner and added some water and closed 1 vent so far. I put the replacements in a cardboard egg carton and have it in the front of the bator. I was thinking of just having 1" blocks on each end and just lift the lid and lift one side of the carton on the block, the other on the wire. I should be able to do this is less than 5 seconds, but I'm still opening the lid and losing humidity and heat.

I was thinking of running fishing line around each end of the carton and through a hole in the lid, tie a fishhook outside the lid and pull the line up and inch or two and hook on top a block, alternating sides that are pulled up. That might take some figuring and messing around to do.

Any other ideas?

Thanks & Aloha,
Cory

Sorry but there is real no way to do that. If you could make a makeshift bator for the next few days that would be the best. You really should not be opening it and the high humidity for the ones to hatch is not very good for the eggs that are only 10 days along. I would try and make something for the next few days, if you cant you will either just have to risk the ones at 10 days old by not opening the bator til hatch is dont or risk the ones ready to hatch by opening it 3 times a day to turn the others. I personally would not open the bator since you have gotten these this far. Jenn

Last edited:
That's why most people do the "all in all out" method of incubation. You have two options, you can just not turn the eggs for 3 days, or you can continue to turn the eggs, just do it as quickly as possible.

I would just make a small incubator out of a small cooler with a light and a dimmer cord/switch and go that way. I have one that I use and it has came in handy several times before I bought a second bator.

incubator1.jpg

Last edited:
This is the first time I've had 2 different set of eggs. I didn't ask the seller for replacements, he just sent them, which was very nice and honest of him, but caused this problem.

I don't think I could build and stabilize a cooler bator in a day or two. The closest hardware store is 25 miles away and to get it stabilized at 99.5 in 3 days with a brand new homemade bator might be hard.

I decided to wrap fising line around the end of the carton and run it through the lid. Instead of hooking it on a block, I'm going to just tie it to a stick and roll the line up around the stick till its off the wire an inch or two.

I figured it would be 70-80% humidity for 4 days, then I can lower it back down to 40% for the 6 days to help dry them out a little before day 18. Who know I might end up drowning a couple little ones, but I don't know what else to do. Is there anything I could wrap or cover the eggs to minimize the effect of humidity?

Thanks for the help and quick replies.

Aloha,
Cory

it want hurt anything i sat 14 eggs and turned by hand. they hatched out at 3 different times.i kept the ones at day 18 on the wire mesh and the rest in a egg crate until day 18. opened and turned as usual . out of 14 i had 12 hatch. maybe im lucky but it worked for me.

i dont have a factory bator but I opened mine all the time but the temp held pretty steady and the humidity went back up real fast/best of luck

My first 2 hatches were a week apart and I had them all together.
I set the day 18 eggs in the back corner of the bator and set the later eggs in the opposite front corner.
I still opened and turned the front eggs as usual and mine were fine.
I only had 3 eggs in one set and 4 eggs in the other set so it didn't take but 5 seconds to turn them.
I woudn't take the risk If I had expensive eggs.

people are freaking out over opening the bator . what happens when a hen gets up to eat or get a drink.i have hatched eggs many times and it isnt that big of a deal. i take my time.i always turn buy hand 2 times a day.i have a bowl with water in it and 2 sponges to get my humidity right. set my temp and leter go lol. jmo not ment to be a smart butt lol.

I wouldn't worry about it. I have quail eggs in mine right now and have had them going all month. I only get one or two eggs a day so I save them a few days or put them right in. I've had 6 hatch so far and so far that is 100% hatchablilty. I know I opened the thing too much and the humidity is not perfect but it still is going ok.

Back
Top Bottom